Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
DrBones Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,

I've recently relocated and inherited (sort of) an office with a FS246 system that appears to be in working order. I've read about the FS246 on this site and have some questions. Unfortunately, I cannot find the original documentation.

This system is currently configured with 3 lines and 5 extensions. We have a funny set up since our office is located in an out building on our property the actual incoming phone lines run from the house to the office into the FS246.

We then have the 5 lines leaving the FS246 to their destinations.

Five basic questions.
1. It seems that this FS246 allows us to have multiple lines, but it does not allow us to do much but intercom and place calls on hold. Forwarding and "rolling over" does not happen. Is this normal? Is this a PBX system?
2. The phones don't ring, they make an annoying long low beep when calls come in. Can this be changed?
3. Of our three incoming lines, two are Verizon fios (fiber optic VOIP) powered and one is Verizon land line. Could I run another VOIP line using Vonage and a regular vonage adapter?
4. Does anyone know what the pin settings are for or where I can find an online manual?
5. The Handsets won't make touchtones when entering numbers on certain systems, like our answering machine so there are some systems we have to call on cell phones. Can this be changed?

The phone functions now, but we are eventually going to need to replace it. Any recommendations for a small office system that can use our existing wiring or will we need to run something other than 2 pair wall jacks?

Thanks for your advice and help!

Dr.Bones

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

that systems is really old and it was just a basic system. It might be time to get a new system. You can get a Vodavi sts system and that will do what you want. You can find a installer on here in your area and they will answer all the question for you.

ALWAYS PUTTING OUT FIRES
RIP Admin-Founder
RIP Admin-Founder
1. It seems that this FS246 allows us to have multiple lines, but it does not allow us to do much but intercom and place calls on hold. Forwarding and "rolling over" does not happen. Is this normal? Is this a PBX system?

That's done at the central office...call the phone company to have that done.

2. The phones don't ring, they make an annoying long low beep when calls come in. Can this be changed?
It's been so long I forgot but I think that's the way they ring.

3. Of our three incoming lines, two are Verizon fios (fiber optic VOIP) powered and one is Verizon land line. Could I run another VOIP line using Vonage and a regular vonage adapter?

beats the hell out a me..I'm sure someone else can answer that one.

4. Does anyone know what the pin settings are for or where I can find an online manual?

pin settings for what?

5. The Handsets won't make touchtones when entering numbers on certain systems, like our answering machine so there are some systems we have to call on cell phones. Can this be changed?

I recall that being a problem with that system...again maybe someone else has more info on that one.

You do know your using 70's technology or there abouts. Good luck
I can make you a good deal on some newer equipment is you ever want to upgrade and we have qualified installers all over the place to install it if necessary. smile

There are a few other features such as door alarm, auto answer and external paging. Other than that there is a "Follow Me" function for intercom calls. I don't recall there being much more than that. The system is actually a Key System.

It is annoying, but there is a code to the rings, such as 1 second on, 3 seconds off continuously means you're receiving an OUTSIDE call. 1 on, 2 off is INTERCOM, etc.

My guess is that you can make that work as long as the voltages are recognized, but I've never tried it as the FS246s were pretty much gone long before Vonage came along.

The PIN settings that I believe you are referencing are what tells which lines that phone may access and ring in. A quick search showed manuals available online. It's only about 80 pages as I recall and they wanted about $80 for the manual.

I don't recall being able to turn that feature on, however these phones were big back in the days of digital pagers and I got pages from clients with those all the time. As I recall, the tones went out, you just didn't hear it through the handset.

The phone functions now, but we are eventually going to need to replace it. Any recommendations for a small office system that can use our existing wiring or will we need to run something other than 2 pair wall jacks?

I'm an Inter-Tel guy, so I have no stock in this answer so to speak, but I'd agree with Firefighter and suggest you look at Vodavi. Ed Vaughn is one of our Vodavi moderators and is in the D.C. area. To get a completely truthful answer about what the systems will do, and if it'd be right for you, Ed would be the person to trust.

Before you put any money into that old system though, you'd be better off taking Tom, (Test-OK) up on the offer of a more powerful used system. Even the old Inter-Tel Premier would blow that Freedom system out of the water on features and could be picked up for peanuts.

Good luck Doc, and welcome

KLD Offline
Trace, you have a great memory. The KSU sent the tones, not the sets. The executive sets with display did "chirp" but no true tone.

The CO lines were cartridges, 2 per line as I remember. I know where a church and it's school have systems working. I'd have to go by to verify the exact configuration.

Ed will definitely send you in the correct direction.

Ken
---------
Admin
Admin
That system is very old and has out lived its usefulness I would recommend replacing it. The 246 was a cheap system with few features 25 years ago when it was new. I have sent you an email.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
You can download a manual from our web site if you need it. It is much cheaper than a hard copy. Follow the link in my signature line.
Believe it or not, we have a bunch of those phones (refurbished) for sale still as well as a fair number of those cartridges.
That said, it is an antique. If it were a computer, it would be a TRS-80 with an external cassette tape drive.

DrBones Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for your help and comments. I'll take a look at a Vodavi sets and see what I find. From a Financial stand point, we will keep the 246 for now (as it does work), but I want to be ready to replace it as I imagine it could give up the ghost at any time.

I managed to get a copy of the manual from another member and at this point there is really nothing I can do to make the system more functional.

I'll try adding the VOIP system to line 4 as we have a co line open on the cartridge.

I appreciate all your help.

DrBones

Wow...what memories!
I just ran across this topic and while no one might see it I thought I'd post.

I actually have an FS246 still new in the box...I guess I should replace the internal battery in the 'lil KSU.

In later years the FS246 phone set would cross over and work on an MT-360. Yes, Macro-Tel MT-360. Everything but one button would work. However the MT-360 phone would not work on the FS-246.

I should make a hanging mobile from all the discontinued phones from the past 30 years...

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,867
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,685 Shoretel
189,696 CTX100 install
187,888 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024