Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#229848 01/05/06 11:37 AM
Bl4444 Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been tasked with upgrading the phone system in my office. We have 5 lines coming in, 4 dedicated to voice and 1 to fax. We're currently using an Asuzi Pro-1032 system that was purchased used many years ago.

We have roughly 8 users, 6 in office and 2 "telecommuters," and the expectation of future growth.

Looking online, I found the NEC DS-2000 which seems like a good solution for us. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this system, and could offer any insight or recommendations.

I was also curious about installation... What would be the ballpark on an installation such as this? One vendor my boss spoke with was pricing him over twice as much as the cost of the DS-2000 on a different system (that didn't even have voicemail) and nearly 25% that price was installation...

My boss is even asking me if I think I could handle the install. (I'm kind of the de facto IT guy and I handle all our networking issues.) Looking at the install manual on the DS-2000 it seems fairly straightforward, and I'm pretty adept at working my way through proects like this.

However, I'm just as happy to hand a check off to someone else, I just don't want to get taken to the cleaners in the process.

I appreciate any advice or information anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

B1 ,It would be in your best interest to hire a professional,The self install kits they sell on the web make for a very sloppy ,bulky install,the DS2000 is a very feature rich system for the money,You need someone who can translate your needs to reality,a lot of system programming ,like your IT stuff, has it's compatibility issues,The phone system cannot be blamed for an improper install ,or programming,the quick start programming just provides basic programming,This system has a lot of features that you will enjoy,but if you don't have it professionally installed ,you might as well just install a cordless panasonic system.

Bl4444 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the advice, Gene.

I'm certainly happy to hand it off to a professional. But, I just want to make certain I'm not getting gouged in the process.

As I said, the guy my boss spoke quoted a price that was 30% higher (and for what sounds like an inferior product) than the prices I've seen for the DS-2000. That was just for the hardware... He then wanted an additional 25% for the installation.

Basically, he wanted 4k total for what sounds like a pretty barebones system.

I know the guy's gotta eat, but to me it sounds like he's building an awful lot of markup into his quote... What would be a fair ballpark figure on an install like this?

Thanks again for the advice.

KLD Offline
welcome

The DS 2000, if properly installed and programmed is a highly flexible and feature rich product with a stable service history.

Don't let the web pricing lead you astray. Find several local companies that install this product, find which one you would like to service your account, and you can deal with the pricing as each area has different requirements for installation (some permits, some not, local wage scales vary, etc.).

The bad taste of a poor install and service will long outlast the sweet taste of CHEAP!

Remember, your vendor is now part of your profit structure. Especially with telecommuters. He is like the computer guru, the copy machine repairman, and your CPA. If your phones aren't ringing you are NOT making money.

Now that I've worn out Ev's soap box, hope this helps you make a decision.

KLD. wink

Ken
---------
What was the supposedly "inferior" product your boss was quoetd? I am curiouse now! LOL, but really, try not to let online prices lead you astray. For the most part they only come with parts warranty, if you install yourself YOU have to fix it. Most vendors (reputable) offer AT LEAST a one year labor warranty and usually multi year parts warranties. That alone could litterally save houndred or thousands of dollars in lost revenue with a down system that a tech might need to fix, or if something mysteriously breaks, say the motherboard, you can have it replaced by a professional.

From what I have seen 4,000 for a 8 phone system and voice mail is not baaaad really. Remember, cheap is cheap is cheap. Your business runs because of certain things:
1. Computers
2. People
3. Telephones

Without these three things most businesses could not function. Go cheap here and think how much could be lost. I am not saying to buy the most expensive out there, but do your research and you will be a happier buyer!

Steve

Bl4444 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the info and advice KLD...

and honestly, I'm not looking for cheap as much as fair. I mean I'm as interested in saving money as the next guy, but I'm not looking to stiff anyone.

Tampasteve, the $4k system didn't have voicemail, that's why I said it seemed to be an inferior product... It was simply a barebones 8 phone system with no real "features" short of the most basic office functionality. (essentially speakers on the phones, the ability to transfer calls and intercom between extensions)

I really don't want to give you guys the idea that I'm trying to cut anybody's legs out from under them. Essentially, all I'm saying is that I'm more than happy to give somebody my business, but not if they're more interested in making a fortune than a profit. I shoot straight with my customers, and I expect the same from my vendors. It's more a matter of principle than money.

...and again, to all you guys, I really appreciate the information and advice.

Sounds like a 3com NBX may work for what you want. https://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3C10600A

Its pricepoint is pretty decent, and the install is basically plug and go (Under an hour).

We recieved 1 through a giveaway at a local conference and I thought it was pretty decent, but we stuck with our 2000IPS because my boss doesnt like changes lol.

you mentioned initially that you had 2 "teleworkers". in what capacity are you looking to have these folks connected?

Bl4444 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the advice... We did end up going with the DS-2000.

Everything's up and running and working great. There's only one thing bugging me... We have our system set up so that an incoming call rings all of our phones, so that one of us can always grab the call.

The annoying thing is the blinking caller i.d. notification... Is there anyway to set that so that it only blinks to notify users of voicemail?

Currently, any unanswered call will set every phone in the joint blinking...

Thanks again.

Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
It is in the Program 0101 caller ID alert lamp. default is on for all classes of service. turn it to off.

It the first setting I change when installling a system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,309
Posts638,904
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,033 Shoretel
190,237 CTX100 install
188,393 1a2 system
Newest Members
dcl, Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks
49,771 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 19
teleco 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
dexman 4
Yoda 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024