Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#237475 05/14/08 08:04 AM
dstny Offline OP
OP Offline
We are a small law firm looking to purchase a new telephone system. In talking to two different vendors one recommended the DSX system while the other recommended the Aspire. The vendor who recommended the Aspire said they do not sell or support the DSX system as it is not sold through authorized dealers but rather was sold direct to consumer. The other vendor tells us the DSX system is more than suitable for our needs and is a great system. By way of background, we presently have an Avaya partner system which we are not happy with.

We are looking for a 10-phone system (which can be slightly upgraded), capable of handling somewhere between 6 and 10 phone lines with unified messaging capabilities. Can anyone comment on the differences between the DSX and Aspire systems and whether the increased cost for the Aspire might be worth the price for a small firm such as ours. We are also open to any other suggestions for telephone systems (although I understand this is the NEC thread).

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#237476 05/14/08 08:13 AM
The DSX is more than capable for your needs.
I have one at Attys in Hauppauge and Carle Place and like the ease of operation ,Call timer for billing and ability to monitor incoming voicemail and take it or blow it off,
Also the voicemail to email is an attractive feature

You cant go wrong with the DSX in your configuration

In either case Nec product is A-One ,I would spend more time on the reputation of the selling dealer all the comments above are "Who shot John "sales BS.

#237477 05/14/08 08:17 AM
As i think they both would work well. i would recommend an IPK 2 for your small office. You can get a decent sized system for a decent price, they are reliable systems, that do not need much maintenance. You ca get a voicemail system with unified messaging. the system is upgradeable to 256 ports, so you have a lot of room for additions. Just my thoughts on the system, I have worked on them for awhile now and they work very well. If you need anything let me know.

#237478 05/14/08 09:14 AM
While I'm sure the IPK II is a good system also, the two choices you have now are quite sufficient without muddying the waters. I think the only real question is the extent of Unified Messaging that you are expecting. The DSX does offer forwarding of voicemail to email, but there is no synchronization. I'm not sure if this is something that the Aspire offers.

For the rest of the functionality you are looking for, both system easily fit the bill. Hopefully we will get an Aspire installer to comment on its unified capabilities as that appears to be the only thing that could significantly set them apart for your needs.

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

#237479 05/14/08 09:44 AM
Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
On the aspire with the right Voicemail and If the law firm uses Exchange server, Voicemails will be deleted when they are checked via email.

With the DSX it sends a copy to the Email but the person would have to Delete the Voicemail from the DSX mailbox in addition to checking it via email.

#237480 05/14/08 09:46 AM
dstny Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks so much for all your comments.

In terms of unified messaging, my current system e-mails me wav files of my messages (as opposed to simply getting a notification that I have a message) and I'd like to retain this feature with the NEC system. I'd also like to understand why the Aspire is so much more expensive than the DSX system (at least from the quotes we received) and/or what other features it has to offer, especially in the unified messaging area - since if the Aspire's main difference is its ability to manage phone calls from a computer desktop, then the DSX is a better choice since I don't need the desktop functionality.

Thanks again for all your input and help.

#237481 05/14/08 09:51 AM
KLD Offline
I have the DSX 80 in law offices....what kenb and ttech said....I'd go with the DSX 80 for the price.
A basic DSX 80 comes equipped so you have room to grow without buying additional cardage. The Intramail upgraded Voice Mail will do just fine to fit your needs.

Yes, the DSX series is sold "over the counter" and the Aspire is a dealer-only item. What does that mean to you? If you don't like your vendor, you can get support anywhere. Otherwise you are dependent on the dealer. In other words, why own a Porsche in a Ford world? Support for Ford is everywhere....not too many people can work on Porsche....and you pay the price accordingly.

Just my opinion.

Ken
---------
#237482 05/14/08 10:29 AM
The IPK II and Aspire are more expensive than the DSX because they are more software rich, (they can do a lot more than the DSX). We sell the DSX and IPK II, I like the DSX but I kind of feel like I have 1 arm tied behind me when it comes to programming because of its limitations. Customers always seem to come up with odd scenarios, with the Aspire or IPK II you have a better chance of meeting the customers request.

Dan S

We get old too soon, smart too late
#237483 05/14/08 03:52 PM
Ford? Porsche?

Can you guess why some people choose the Porsche?

Hope you enjoy your Ford. If the attorney in question has a metal desk with a green linoleum top, the Ford is for him.

Think Oak, Mahogany, Cherry.

#237484 05/14/08 04:02 PM
KLD Offline
Only you sun bleached Orange-state boys would think more cost means better equipment. All show, no go. In the real world even real lawyers us Fords and sit behind walnut or teak desks ..... laugh

Good solid equipment...Aspire and DSX. Will the DSX fulfill all the needs of all lawyers? Of course not. Will the Aspire? Again, of course not. Of the information given, and the nature of what is being asked, would you haul hogs in a Mercedes just because you can afford to?

:rofl:

Ken
---------
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,300
Posts638,879
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,766 Shoretel
189,843 CTX100 install
187,972 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 9
dans 7
dexman 6
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024