web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
A search seems to indicate that this topic has not been discussed since 2006.

I have a cheap model "home switching system" -- TalkSwitch. Yes, I know what you are going to say but that's a different thread! smile

I keep blowing out the Caller-ID circuit such that the unit no longer passes Caller-ID information. Tech support suggests that this is the fault of surges on the phone line. Back when TiVo was updated by modem, I also blew-out that modem so maybe there is something to the idea that the telco voltage here is wacky. We do have a lot of power failures.

QUESTION: Do surge suppressors for telco lines really work? If so, do y'all have a recommendation? THANKS!!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

KLD Offline
Yes, and the second answer is, Porta System BET with the correct 5-pin protectors.

....and when you get around to the second thread...yes, most normal (read "real") telephone switches with CID do not have these problems.

:rofl: :thumb:

Ken
---------
OP Offline
Thanks for the reply. Did a Google search for "Porta System BET" and mostly came up with off-shore betting parlors. Can you point me towards the correct path?

KLD Offline
Steve has the correct link as Porta Systems has been acquired by tii.....

Ken
---------
OP Offline
Thanks -- definitely getting closer but still a bit confused.

I think I understand the 5 pin: T & R in, T & R out, and a ground. But the pictures didn't seem like this was stand-alone wiring. Seems like I'd need something else for the five pin connection.

Also, seems like they sell in boxes of 50, which is kinda overkill for me. smile

I don't need to protect the whole house, only need to protect one item. Do y'all have any thoughts on dedicated RJ45 in/out surge protectors such as this one from ELK products , or this one from APC.

Thanks -- nice to know there are experts willing to help a homeowner.

KLD Offline
Porta Systems produces these in as small of a unit of 10....and, yes, it is the base you buy then add the individual protector units....you don't need to support all ten, just what you need. I buy the blister pack that has the 10 port base and ten protector units..... PN# 1504 something or the other, I believe.

Those you listed are fine for what they are designed for and not for what you asked for.

Try this link https://www.tiinettech.com/repository/datasheetlibrary/1506.pdf

You'll be close.....and this is a six pair unit.

Ken
---------
Admin
Admin
I still use the ITW Linx brand of surge protector products (well, that and Circa). https://www.powersystemsdirect.com/default.php?manufacturers_id=107

If you shop around, you can find pretty good pricing and modules to protect Cat-5 network cables as well as Central office and station lines. However, I still have a fully equipped (even with a couple of 7.5 volt modules) Porta Systems 10-port protector for the single pin modules.

Carl

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Captain, I have some six-pair units that support these modules if you want to take a ride to Springfield. I'll let you borrow one. Give me a call or reply via PM and we can discuss this further.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Those you listed are fine for what they are designed for and not for what you asked for.
Could you expound on that? Not sure what you mean.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,609 Shoretel
189,492 CTX100 install
187,712 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
2 members (Yoda, JBean3329), 131 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024