Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#251703 01/28/07 04:46 PM
Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
I have always known Apple makes a good machine, albeit a bit proprietary. Most of us run PCs because our interface software requires it. I could never see myself giving up my Dell Latitude with its built in com port, or giving up my desktop with its removable drive caddy and such. But I want to get into some simple movie making using the movies from my camcorder. I understand Apple's iMovie program is solid and real simple to use. Has anyone used this? I am considering buying a Mac Mini to use for movie making. Any comments. I like the mini because of the small foot print, and my LCD monitor has dual imputs, so that should work. Just looking for a little feed back.

Thanks

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#251704 01/29/07 12:05 AM
It's night and day difference. I've tried it with both and will probably be picking up a mini soon because I was just given the box of videotapes to "do something with". If your camcorder has a firewire port, you can plug it in, hit a couple buttons, and make a basic DVD with all of your video on it. You can make it more complicated from there if you want.

#251705 01/30/07 02:14 PM
Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
I think I am going to go for it. If it doesn't work, I can always re-sell it. My only other thought was getting an iBook, but I think the price is just way out there.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
#251706 01/31/07 04:58 PM
I use mac's all the time now. iMovie is very very simple video editing software. If you want to get into editing more than one view at a time (using several cameras) and adding additional effects, you can get Final Cut Pro for Mac, is very nice. Not as easy as iMovie though. You can also use a program called iPhoto, and put images on iPhoto and make a movie using iMovie from them. iMovie uses a tool called iDVD to make very simple and easy to use menus for burning a DVD. Make sure you get a DVD-r-w and CD-r-w built in. (They make them in a single 'superdrive').

Kristopher
#251707 02/10/07 03:51 AM
Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Well I managed to borrow a Mac Mini from one of my customers. It was pretty easy to get going. The one thing it is missing is the iMovie. I thought this was a standard program with the Mac? I can't find any info on their site, although I haven't made a concentrated effort. How do I increase the size of my windows in a Mac as well?

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
#251708 02/10/07 04:48 AM
iMovie is a basic mac application and comes with the install of 10.3 and 10.4, i believe.

To resize windows, there are a few little lines on the bottom right hand corner of the window, click and drag to change size.

The three buttons on the upper left are self-explanitory. Red is close, yellow is minimize, and green is maximize.

Added: If you got the Mac HD of whatever the name of the hard disk is, in the upper right corner there is a search tool. It will automatically search all folders, type iMovie then press enter. It should be under the 'Applications' line of the search results. You can also look through the Apps folder.

If you do not see the list of folders on the left side when you open the HD or another window, there is a small oval shaped button on the upper right of all windows, click that and it will give you advanced options.

Kristopher
#251709 02/10/07 06:26 AM
Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Well..the iMovies is not there. Looks like someone else might have uninstalled it. It has every other application....iPhoto, iTunes,etc...

Is this a free app I can download? I can get the newest version on ebay for about $60, but this is just my trial use of the Mac, and if I don't keep it, I don't want to waste money on the software.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
#251710 02/10/07 12:30 PM
I just called Apple, and apparently, you have to have iMovie pre-installed or added from the software restore disks.

I did find this: https://www.download.com/iMovie/3000-2200_4-10286246.html but it is version 4.x.

Sorry 'bout that.

Kristopher

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,875
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,745 Shoretel
189,819 CTX100 install
187,946 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 6
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024