Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#252483 04/02/08 08:07 AM
Dane Offline OP
OP Offline
hey folks,

I am mostly a telephone (Mitel) guy but am somewhat PC literate. Anyway my brother has bought three A31P IBM Thinkpads in a bundle and is expecting delivery of them in a couple of days. None of them have hard drives or operating systems. He will install the HDs and Ubuntu (he's a big Linux proponent). I have no problem working with Linux, but a couple of things I have to do phone wise with Mitel corporate site are dependent on Windows. so I would like to have a dual boot system.

The problem is he says the systems are stickered "windows 2000" and he think that installing XP will work but I will probably not be able to acquire updates from microsoft if the installed operating system does not match the hardware.

Is the operating system and license on the motherboard or in the bios and is what he thinks true and if so is there any way to get around it.

Thanks for any help or information.

Dane

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#252484 04/02/08 08:50 AM
To my knowledge the operating system has nothing to do with the motherboard and/or BIOS. The updates to XP will work if you have a licensed operating system. So if you get a blank Thinkpad (no OS loaded), just buy XP or Vista for around $100, and you will get all the updates for either system.

#252485 04/02/08 12:34 PM
Dane Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks - already have XP software that I loaded on my current system - worth a try.

#252486 04/02/08 12:41 PM
Well with some of the licensing, it can be tied to one motherboard and that's it. MS is cracking down on their licensing and trying to stop piracy. If you have a Volume license, then you are OK.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#252487 04/02/08 02:14 PM
You may have issues with drivers. If IBM only sold that model with Win2k, they won't officially support any other OS. I've had issues with IBM computers in the past where the driver and BIOS updates stop far earlier than most other manufacturers. Doesn't mean it won't work, you just may not have optimal performance, or some components may not work.

There's nothing in XP that would cause it to not install or run on hardware that was approved for Win2k. If you manage to get a non-licensed copy of XP installed, running a Windows Update could de-activate Windows. This may be what your brother was referring to.

#252488 04/03/08 05:15 AM
You definitely can't just install the XP you have from one system onto another. It would have to be a brand new license. But beyond that, these thinkpads are likely powerful enough for XP.

Drivers for Windows2000 usually also work on XP.

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
#252489 04/03/08 02:07 PM
Originally posted by RobCalltrol:
You definitely can't just install the XP you have from one system onto another. It would have to be a brand new license. But beyond that, these thinkpads are likely powerful enough for XP.

Drivers for Windows2000 usually also work on XP.
just to clarify, it doesn't have to be a 'brand new license', just a license that isn't being used on any other machines. you may have to call the toll-free number to activate, but all they ask is whether or not the license is in use on any other machines.

Microsoft has claimed in a few instances that licenses can not be transferred from one machine to another but the courts have not upheld that stance in any of the cases. furthermore, the courts have found that some EULAs are too restrictive to be enforced.

one license/COA per computer.

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
#252490 04/03/08 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Clinton:
If IBM only sold that model with Win2k, they won't officially support any other OS.
IBM sez about the A31p (model numbers 2653-Hxx/Jxx/Lxx/Nxx):

The supported operating systems are as follows:
- Microsoft Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition
- Microsoft Windows Me
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3 or later
- Microsoft Windows XP

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
#252491 04/04/08 02:57 AM
Microsoft has claimed in a few instances that licenses can not be transferred from one machine to another but the courts have not upheld that stance in any of the cases. furthermore, the courts have found that some EULAs are too restrictive to be enforced.
If I have XP pre-installed on a Dell, and it dies, the license can not be transferred to any other machine.

If I buy a retail copy of XP, I can use it on any machine I like, as long as it's one machine at a time.

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
#252492 04/04/08 07:09 PM
Originally posted by RobCalltrol:
If I have XP pre-installed on a Dell, and it dies, the license can not be transferred to any other machine.

If I buy a retail copy of XP, I can use it on any machine I like, as long as it's one machine at a time.
says who, Rob? Microsoft might, but the courts haven't. re-read my previous post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,716 Shoretel
189,755 CTX100 install
187,918 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (KRRath), 155 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024