web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
A typical T1 circuit is only 1.5 megabits per second. A typical digital 3 minute song is 3 megaBYTES or 24 megabits in size. A typical digital photo is about 2 megaBYTES or 16 megabits. The typical Power Point presentation is 10 megaBYTES in size or 80 megabits. If 3 or more people in the office were to email a power point presentation at the same time the office internet connection would slow to a crawl for 3 or more minutes. This does not take into account all the spam email clogging up your Internet connection while attempting to reach your mail server. Nor does it take into account many other new bandwidth hogging applications that others in office are using such as monitoring their nanny cam at home, watching MarketWatch , CNN streaming video channels, or uploading a photo album to a relative. Everyday there are new bandwidth intensive applications being developed for the Internet.

It's obvious that the common T1 connection can't handle this growth. Your best option is to research application of a DS3 bandwidth solution.

A DS3 (sometimes referred to as a T3 or E3) is a leased private dedicated line that goes directly from your office to an Internet Service Provider (ISP). A T3/DS3 connection is equivalent to 28 T1/DS1 connections and uses digital signals on fiber-optic cable at speeds of 45 million bps (bits per second) or 44.736 megabits per second. Generally this type of dedicated line is for 50-100+ users and/or high bandwidth applications. T3/DS3 connections can also be used for point to point access (direct connection between 2 business sites).

As a standard used in the North American and Japanese marketplaces, a DS3 can handle 672, 64Kbps voice conversations or one video data channel. The DS3 line has enough bandwidth to transmit full-motion real-time videos and very large databases over a busy network. Generally a DS3 line would be installed as a major networking channel for a large corporation, research facility, call center, or university with high volume network traffic. But there are multiple smaller scale business uses also....particularly when multiple locations are involved. Bandwidth for a Fractional DS3, up to a full DS3, generally run at speeds between 6 Mbps through 45 Mbps.

DS3 connection (or T3 connection), is great for companies with large bandwidth needs. It is especially useful as the backbone for Disaster Recovery systems. If your company needs computer access for 50 + users, or needs to run high bandwidth applications like video conferencing, you are likely in the market for a T3/DS3 connection. A T3/DS3 line is also a viable solution for companies looking to resell bandwidth to their customers.

The common T1 line can handle 24 simultaneous voice calls or a high speed Internet connection speed of 1.54 Mbps. This is usually the solution of choice for small to mid size businesses. A DS3 line can handle 672 simultaneous voice calls or provide a high speed Internet connection of 45 Mbps. The T3/DS3 is typically used by high end data and voice customers as it is the equivalent of 28 T1 lines or 672 voice lines.

Most DS3 circuits are "fractional", meaning a portion of the circuit. A DS3 is capable of 45 megabits per second. Fractional DS3s are usually, 8 megabit per second which is equal to about five (5) T1s. Today this is more than fast enough for most all business needs.

The cost of the DS3 circuit is always mileage based. Generally speaking the farther the distance from your ISPs Central Office (CO) connection the more it will cost. On top of that there is often a bandwidth usage charge.

DS3 service can be deployed for a wide variety of applications. The most common uses are DS3 point-to-point (tying 2 distinct business locations together), DS3 internet (data), DS3 frame relay, DS3 voice, and DS3 VPN. The pricing for these connections varies widely depending on the carrier, location of service and the application for which the connection is being used.

Michael Lemm
Freedomfirecommunications
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Thanks for the info but seeing as how we are all in the telecom industry we are well aware of the facts you are stating. Was this in response to a question or are you just blatantly trying to push your product? (which, by the way, is against forum rules)

SST Offline
Looks like an advertisement to me......

SST Offline
Looks like an advertisement to me......

OP Offline
I agree most are in the Telecom industry....but not everyone is an expert in every facet. The variety of questions/discussions posed in the Forum bear that out. Whether they are an active member, lurker, or visitor to this Forum.....everyone can learn or share something.

I've had questions in this arena (dedicated bandwidth solutions) posed to me and I encouraged these folks to come here (they were only visiting or lurking before...as was I). Maybe now they'll actually join in and use this thread as a jump off point for questions and further dialogue on the subject. Hopefully anyway....since that was the intent.

As for "looks like an advertisement". Nothing could be further from the truth. There's absolutely zero solicitation language of any kind in the content of the post. Certainly wasn't the purpose of this thread either.

If having a sigline is what prompted concern I apologize. I saw no policy statement forbidding siglines...and I'm used to using those in Forums as a matter of course. Very common practice.....and part of the registration and profile set-up here anyway.

Michael Lemm
Freedomfirecommunications
SST Offline
Quote: "It's obvious that the common T1 connection can't handle this growth. Your best option is to research application of a DS3 bandwidth solution."

I'm betting you sell T3's

I think there's some good general information in there also, I didn't read every word, but I don't really see anything wrong with the post. If I'm wrong I'm sure we'll know. I do agree that if you read the post in T1 some people are confused with how things work and what bandwidth is all about. Nothing wrong with basics.

Retired phone dude
Admin
Admin
FreedomFire I'd like to WELCOME you to the forum, you posted some good information and I'm sure will be able to share lots more with us. Your first 2 post were questionable as to advertising or just sharing info. (you are in the broadband business). Thanks for the information I have been doing telecom over 20 years but still know very little about T1, T3 and DS3 hope you stick around to answer some of my questions. [Linked Image from img125.echo.cx]

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
I'm curious to the break-even point of selling services to customers. At what point is a fractional DS-3 more cost-effective than using inverse multiplexing on multiple DS-1 circuits?

This here guy does alot of posting over at PBXINFO.COM with the same type of posts. He is doing nothing more then advertising his broadband reslling business.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,314
Posts638,919
Members49,775
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,066 Shoretel
190,283 CTX100 install
188,551 1a2 system
Newest Members
PeterG, lyte, 4thright, dcl, Mansour
49,774 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 19
jsaad 5
teleco 4
dans 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (PeterG), 119 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024