Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#260311 12/05/06 04:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Has anyone used this? It sounds like a PRI or T1, but allocates the channels for either voice or data, depending on what is needed.

Any good word on this product?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#260312 12/05/06 05:19 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
It's dynamic channel allocation and it's been around for a while. We have used it with CLECs, but not with Verizon (our LEC). I have not heard anything bad about it. It's actually a great idea when you think about it:

When there are no phone calls coming in, you get the full bandwidth of a T1 for data. Each voice call chips away at this, but they come and go. It's worth it in the long run. These arrangements are usually set up to prioritize voice traffic anyway unless otherwise requested.

It's comparable to paying for a fax line that sits there unused 50% of the day. By using it for something else while it's idle is just good sense. I say go for it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#260313 12/06/06 02:35 AM
I have seen some of the literature from Qwest on this. My company currently uses Qwest for our WAN and have had reasonably good success with them. In looking forward at how to connect the company's offices this seems like a good fit, especially for the smaller offices where it wouldn't make sense to have both a dedicated voice and data circuit.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
#260314 12/06/06 03:54 AM
I have some engineering and implementation experience with Telco Integrated Access offerings from a couple different companies. (Sorry, not Qwest so specific advise from me on them.) It seems to work out VERY well for smaller office environments with both data and voice needs. Especially at locations where DSL is not available. There tends to be more bang for the telecomm buck if DSL is an option over a Intergraded service.

The IA service itself is brought to the end user over a DS1 circuit (T1 rate) and the broken out to voice and data by an integrated access device (IAD.) I’ve used three different manufactures IAD’s and in most cases modules were available to interface with most any configuration of the customer premise equipment. I.e. analog or digital interfaces with PBX’s or even straight to tell-sets. For voice, I’ve seen both 1B (POTS like lines) and DID/DOD trunks used exclusively or even mixed and matched for the needs of the customer. However, I’ve never seen PRI put into play with any integrated access service. Dun-no, ‘bout that one.

The data component is delivered to the IAD though a fractional T1 pipe, riding in the DS1 circuit (T1.) Usually connected to an ISP but in some case I’ve seen it be routed to another customer location to set-up a WAN type configuration. At the customer location, the data can be handed off to a router or some IAD’s can even do some low-level router functionality itself if needed.

With both companies I’ve worked for, the bandwidth was fixed for both voice and data, meaning the fractional T1 data rate was set and was not affected by using or not using the voice channels/trunks. I guess there could be dynamic allocation of channels as Ed suggested but I’ve just never seen it configured that way. Honestly that would be impossible unless some sort of VoIP solution is also being tossed in the mix also over the Frac. T1 data pipe. So, I would not expect to see a reduction in data speed when trunks are used.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
#260315 12/06/06 07:44 AM
Hey Bryan, on the installs that you have done, is the local dial tone provided over the IA circuit, or has it been used for on-net calling only?

#260316 12/06/06 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Steve Brower:
Hey Bryan, on the installs that you have done, is the local dial tone provided over the IA circuit, or has it been used for on-net calling only?
In all cases I’ve been involved with, the trunks came from the LEC switch just like it would for any other DID/DOD or dial-tone circuit. Then consolidated/integrated on a Digit Cross Connect machine and delivered to the end-user on the IA DS1. The lines could be used just like any other trunk delivered over copper, it's just transported differently.

-----------------------
Bryan
#260317 12/07/06 07:55 AM
We looked at this option for our new office. But looking back, I'm glad we didn't. Our local loop has been down more than a few times for a couple days at a time. If this local loop had also carried our internet service we'd be dead in the water. We have our own mail server, so we wouldn't have email. We have Remote IP phones, they'd be silent. We use Vonage for outbound 800 calling, we wouldn't be able to do that.

It really boils down to the adage - "don't put all your eggs in one basket". It looks good on paper, and in theory. But I don't trust Verizon's copper THAT much.

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
#260318 12/07/06 09:02 AM
Rob good point BUT that is something that cut’s both ways… A T1 service that would have brought the Integrated Access service into your shop would have had a much higher restoration priority level than your regular voice trunks.

-----------------------
Bryan
#260319 12/07/06 09:09 AM
I was thinking that the larger offices would have local access via PRI lines from the LEC (or CLEC) and use a separate connection for voice back to other locations and a centralized voicemail system. Like you, Rob, I am concerned about having data and phones on the same circuit.

This does seem to be an awfully expensive way to go for smaller office though. I have been trying to figure out the best approach for these offices, some of which have 4 -5 phone lines and a couple of fax/credit card lines.

We currently use the Qwest PRN for WAN access between sites, and have had pretty good success there.

It just seems that it would be nice to have the 4 or 5 digit dialing between locations and one central voicemail for better communications.

Cost, of course, is always an issue.

Thanks for the input.

#260320 12/08/06 02:49 AM
Keep in mind, my T1 is copper to the local switch. The outage last week, also affected our next-suite neighbor. It's not just us, it was a lot of customers.

My boss wants me to find a new carrier who can give us fiber to the building. If it's fiber, there's less that can go wrong.

If we order FIOS from Verizon, why can't they give us a T1 off it?

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,593 Shoretel
189,478 CTX100 install
187,628 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 133 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024