Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#260580 04/01/07 03:53 AM
monwen Offline OP
OP Offline
setting up new office w/2 separate businesses. 3 hunt groups, 1 4-lines, 1 3-lines & 1 2-line. The 2-line group is for the fax. Should I use POTS lines for the fax or include them in the PRI/T-1 which I intend to use for voice & data? Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

If POTS lines are available, we try as much as possible to keep our faxes assigned to POTS lines.

monwen Offline OP
OP Offline
POTS lines are available. Just figured I'd save the $$$ and use the T1/PRI. What's the theory that Fax lines should use POTS? Is it in case the T1 goes down?

We also have several fax lines that communicate successfully over PRI/T-1. However, we do try to keep as many as possible assiged to POTS. I'll do some further research Monday, so that I can provide some exact details.

monwen Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all your help!

I'd use the pots simply to provide some type of dial backup if the PRI goes down.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
the dial out back up isn't the issue it once was since everyone is likely to have a Cell

I have limited experience with PRI's but I just moved one with three fax's . they came up fine and have been working at the previous location without a issue

I do suggest customers bring in a couple of copper lines for the alarms and they can double as fax lines

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
I second Skip on this one. While we do have several clients on PRI for faxes they still have at least one line for the security system. I also have some security systems on analog ports of systems utilizing the PRI.

However, before you do that, remeber that some security systems will send an alarm if no dial tone present or don't check. (not sure how it works) In any event, if you take the system down the the security company may take that as an alarm. Also, some monitoring companies require POTS lines.

If you need lines for the security system you may as well utilize the fax on the same line.

monwen Offline OP
OP Offline
since a security system is not an issue, I assume that I can safely run the fax through the PRI. XO says they haven't used POTS lines as backups for a while since call could be forwarded to cellphones. Also, if the power should be totally out in the office building we would lose the ability to do any work.

I don't see any reason why not , if you start having issues you could always add POTS lines

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,642 Shoretel
189,525 CTX100 install
187,783 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 203 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024