Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
#261737 01/28/09 05:59 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Today I went to install a router and came across an issue I have not seen before. I did not have a TBERD with me to do any elaborate testing.

I installed my router and connected it to the NIU/SmartCard. The LED's on the Smartcard go green and appear normal. About 10 seconds after the router is plugged into the NIU, the ESF LED starts to blink. This would typically imply that a framing mismatch is taking place, correct?

On my router I'm receiving a RED/ Yellow alarm. the provider is receiving only yellow. They can loop to the card, they can also loop to a hard loop if I connect one into the jack.

I can install a hardloop into the T1 port on my router, and it comes up. I've changed the cable between the NIU and router (5' patch cord) a number of times, yet the link still does not come up.

I tried a second router (which was installed later today with no issues at a different location). I also changed out the patch cord.

Could a bad card in the NIU cause an issue like this?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#261738 01/28/09 07:22 PM
It always helps to state what kind of router and the configuration. Without such info, your guess is as good as mine.

#261739 01/29/09 10:37 AM
Did you try a cross-over cable between NIU and router?

Bad NIU card unlikely since Telco can run clean to it but possible. If the trouble IS there I would suspect the jack in the NIU housing or working out from it.

Do you have a mismatch between the way your router is configured and the way Telco provisioned the framing (SF vs. ESF?)

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
#261740 01/29/09 12:12 PM
Sounds like a framing mismatch to me...especially since they can run to a hard loop on the back of the smartjack.

But yeah, without being able to look at it with a test set or the router configuration it's really anybody's guess.

--Matt
#261741 01/29/09 12:40 PM
On many devices which provide an ESF LED, a flashing ESF (usually in one-second increments) can also indicate the accumulating of CRC errors. With your mentioning that this flashing ESF is occurring 10+ seconds after the router is connected to the NIU, I'd lean that the framing may be correctly configured, however a possible fault exists with either the cabling or connections.

#261742 02/07/09 09:01 AM
The red alarm you are receiving indicates a LOS. The yellow alarm that the telco is receiving is from your router. Yellow alarm is AIS(alarm indication signal).It is sent by your equipment to the telco to let them know that there is a LOS on the transmit path to you(your receive). Trouble could be lots of things. If the telco can run all 0's to a hard-loop behind the NIU for more than a few seconds without errors then line-coding and framing is most likely correct. Almost all teclo equipment is defaulted to B8ZS/ESF. Hard to troubleshoot without being able to monitor the span. Could very well be a timing problem. Is this point-to-point,frame-relay,etc.???

#261743 02/17/09 05:56 AM
Yellow alarm is NOT AIS. AIS is BLUE. Yellow is FAR-END alarm. Yellow alarms are generated in RESPONSE to BLUE alarms. If you see yellow, it means they see blue.

Yellow is frame/sync, blue is ones. Meaning you are sending ones, and they are trying to tell you they cannot sync/frame/pattern on that (no bipolarization occuring).

If you are seeing CRC errors without BPVs, that is almost always near end, because they won't survive higher-order muxing.

Have you tried reversing your pair, for grins?

Check your config, and make sure timing is set for loop/external.

Let us know what you find out, please.

--
Only the fool fears asking a question.
#261744 02/17/09 05:57 AM
And yes, it might be a card failure. You could power everything down and reseat the card, or try another card if none of the other things we've suggested work.

--
Only the fool fears asking a question.
Trouble could be lots of things. If the telco can run all 0's to a hard-loop behind the NIU for more than a few seconds without errors then line-coding and framing is most likely correct. Almost all teclo equipment is defaulted to B8ZS/ESF.

This thread is over 3 years old, I'm sure it's resolved by now.

Retired phone dude

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,413 Shoretel
189,170 CTX100 install
187,428 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 123 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024