Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#262542 09/16/11 04:20 AM
OP Offline
Well guys, dumb ole me again with some tech questions. I am trying to wrap my mind around troubleshooting HiCap circuits from within a CO environment. Are there rule of thumb areas to look for for certain errors. For example on a T-1 circuit if I am taking Bit errors and I have narrowed it down to coming from my Co, now what? Where should I look, I mean are bit errors most likely caused by equipment, cabling, provisioning, timing...
I am trying to narrow down possibilities, I mean if your car shakes when you drive it you know to look somewhere in the drivetrain and tires not necessarily for how much gas is in the tank. Can I think the same way with errors?
What about CRC errors, what is most likely these caused by? I have a million questions if someone deosn't mind me emailing them instead of these postings.
Thanks in advance......

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#262543 09/16/11 05:56 AM
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Google "loopback plug" or "loopback jack" Either buy one or make one. The problem is either your equipment or the C.O.s. If you think it's the C.O.s then call up your carrier and tell them. A loopback will give you an indication if it's working good or not by you making it talk to itself.
A million questions and answers are not necessary. Troubleshooting 101 says "Isolate the problem".

#262544 09/16/11 06:46 AM
Maybe I misread your original post. Are you saying that you are IN a CO?? ---- "I am trying to wrap my mind around troubleshooting HiCap circuits from within a CO environment."----.

#262545 09/16/11 09:35 AM
OP Offline
Yes sir, I am in the CO and have looped circuit back to my CO to prove it is in my office. I do not currently have these trbls, I was just wondering if there was certain errors that could, as a rule of thumb, be associated with circuit packs, the cabling between equipment, timing issues....As I understand it if my Dsxdb levels are off it would be a indicator to check wiring ( jumpers, coax...)

#262546 09/16/11 09:37 AM
OP Offline
I am trying to develop my troubleshooting skills by trying to learn from all of y'alls experience ( if you are willing to share it with this board) Not wanting someone to take me by the hand and fix it for me, just point me in the right direction.

#262547 09/16/11 10:34 AM
If you can find a Tberd manual they are a pretty good source for error explanation. Off the top of my head. BPV's indicate errors in hardware or wiring. CRC's noise on the line or framing mismatch with little traffic. Failure of all 1's bad repeater. Slips timing, usually CPE, in theory source can't slip. That's about all I've got without looking stuff up.

Retired phone dude
#262548 09/16/11 02:09 PM
If you're troubleshooting a copper circuit, go to the C card and pull PM data off of it to a laptop via serial port. After some practice you'll be able to get a pretty good idea where your trouble is coming from.

Someone *should* sit you down and walk you through it the first time around, laptop in hand, step by step. It's not rocket science by any stretch of imagination, but it does require grasping a few basic concepts.

Adtran had some great manuals regarding HDSL technology for both CO and field use, try to locate some of them.

Bill's suggestion on reading through T-Berd manuals is an excellent one as well.

Once you properly understand the concept of circuit design, you'll learn to troubleshoot from different points, and ability to properly interpret PM data will prove to be very important.

For the record: I'm not a COT/carrier tech/frame guy - but the dude "on the other end", staring at a blinking R card...LOL...

Don't forget to have fun while learning this stuff. Seriously. It can be pretty amusing and entertaining if you don't stress yourself blind over it.

My $0.02 only...

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)
#262549 09/17/11 08:30 AM
I would be glad to help you. I am a retired instructor and taught both CO and outside technicians in various transport technologies.

Forty six years and still fascinated with Telecommunications!
#262550 09/19/11 03:15 AM
nightntwktech,

It is important to keep in mind that their are various forms of a T1. You have to keep that in mind when you troubleshoot them.

A conventional T1 is made up of an office repeater, line repeaters, better named line regenerators,a Smartjack, aka NID, Network Interface Device, NCTE Network Channel Terminating Equipment, NIU, Network Interface Unit.

#262551 09/19/11 03:33 AM
A conventional T1 has limited Performance Monitoring capibilities because the office repeater the line repeaters and the smart jack are usually made by different manufacturers and there is no common "language" for them to speak.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,722 Shoretel
189,760 CTX100 install
187,921 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 110 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024