Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#41388 08/27/09 07:29 AM
OP Offline
Comdial DXP+ 16A; Keyvoice VM Corp.

We have some extensions that we would like it to be very hard to actually reach the VM. The stations do not and cannot have a DID and all calls will go through AA and be transferred that way so I cannot just take away the VM mailboxes or the transfers will not work. Someone told me of a way to set a timer so that it would ring for quite some time before getting to the VM, something like 2 minutes. I did this but it has been a long time and I have since forgotten how. This was something I remember setting up per station I believe not system-wide so it only effected the intended stations and not everyone.

Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#41389 08/27/09 02:34 PM
If the mailboxes you are trying to delay are set to "wait for answer" or "screen" transfer type, you can set the [Rings to Answer] in the first page of the individual mailbox setup, to an abnormally large number. This will allow the AA to transfer the call, but will individually delay the time before it goes back to the VM box. Keep in mind if the transfer type is "wait for ring" or "blind", the entry in the [Rings to Answer] field is ignored.

#41390 08/31/09 02:17 AM
OP Offline
I inadvertently tried what you suggested about setting the delay for "wait to answer". When I added the mailbox the default is just that. It did as you said and did not allow the call to go to the mailbox but when I hung up the phone continued to ring. This is not a desirable result either.

I was trying to do this from VMMI which is why I posted in the Comdial forum and not the VM forum. I was able to set it previousl on another station where it would ring for a specified amount of time before going to the mailbox greeting but I'm sure this is probably a combination of a setting in the timers section and a setting in the station itself.

Tell me if I am on the right path with these settings.....

*Station Transfer Recall - 2 min (in System, Timers)
*Intercom Forward To - None (in the station's settings)

Thanks for the help.

#41391 08/31/09 03:26 PM
Unless there is some other problem, the receiving phone shouldn't continue to ring after you hang up the originating phone. You may get one late ring, but that should be it. This symptom should have nothing to with voice mail setup or system timers. You should test by calling another extension (hang up before it goes to VM).

I can think of a few ways to skin this cat, but without seeing the programming specifics, I would stay out of VMMI programming. Keep in mind that the Station Transfer Recall timer is a system-wide timer. Again, depending on the programming, changing this timer could cause everyone's phone to RNA way too long before going to VM.

If Intercom Forward To is set to the VM pilot for regular phones to go to VM, setting this to none for the subject phone may work for you. The transfer type (in VM programming) will determine if IFT matters or not.

#41392 09/02/09 03:03 AM
OP Offline
All handsets are set to fwd to the VM pilot. I realize the Station Transfer Recall timer is system-wide, however, when I set it higher and then set the station to fwd to none I get my desired result kind of. And, the stations that are set to fwd to the VM pilot are unaffected. They ring 4 times and then go to the VM box as desired. The transfer type should be all calls. Can this be changed from the handset?

The setting is a daycare with multiple rooms. what I would really like to do is have the classrooms ring X amount of times and then transfer to another station when it goes unanswered......the supervisor. Possible through the VM?

#41393 09/02/09 05:00 PM
Did you fix the problem with the station continuing to ring after hang-up?

Assuming you have, have you tried entering the supervisor's extension in the Intercom Forward To field in VMMI? In voice mail, make sure that the Rings To Answer is set to 6 or more and the transfer type is set for "Wait for Answer" or "Screen". Don't confuse the transfer schedule (should be set to "always") with the transfer type (WFA or screen). This should allow the phone to ring 4 times before ringing the supervisors station. If you want more rings, you may have to adjust the relevant timer in VMMI.

#41394 09/03/09 01:55 AM
OP Offline
I haven't gotten back to it to play around yet but I had thought of forwarding it the the desired station. I should be aboe to get to it in the next few days and will post my results. I understand the difference b/w transfer type and the schedule, no problem there. Our scheme is pretty basic and there are no CFOS so all schedules are set to always for all stations.

Regarding your advised settings of WFA or screen and setting it higher than 6, why is this necessary? I have it set to BLind currently and X as the transfer to field and it seems that the Comdial timer is taking precendence for the stations that are forwarding to none. If I change it to forward to the super's station, I understand that I need to change the rings on the VM box but why the change in the transfer type? Can't I just leave it set to Blind? Also, would the Station RNA rings in VMMI take precedence over the rings set in VM? For example, even if I had the VM set to 4 rings but the VMMI RNA rings for the station set to 6 (the highest) and the forwarding in VMMI for the station set to forward to the next station (not VM), would it ring 4 or 6 times? This is something I need to check out.

I want it this way because the staff in the classrooms never check the messages. I could always leave things as is with the timer and no forwarding. It would eventually still hit the mailbox after the timer ran out. Then I could set the mailboxes to forward the messages to the supervisor's mailbox. Not really a good solution but it could work.

#41395 09/03/09 01:57 PM
The reason I suggested you do it that way is to take the VM timing out of the equation. Setting the transfer type to blind will also enable the DXP timers to take precedence over the voice mail timing.

As I said in an earlier post, there is more than one way to skin this cat. Following the path you are on, you should be able to set the IFT to the supervisor's extension. This will allow unanswered calls to that extension to ring at the supervisor's phone.

Keep in mind if the transfer type is "wait for ring" or "blind", the entry in the [Rings to Answer] field is ignored.

#41396 09/04/09 02:50 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for helping me clarify the concepts. I thought I might be on the right path but just needed confirmation. Our installer showed me how to adjust the timer last time he was out and I had forgotten what to set on the station. He didn't go into detail but showed me the quick and dirty.

Thanks for the explanations. I appreciate your time and expertise.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,892
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,840 Shoretel
189,962 CTX100 install
188,062 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (JBean3329), 115 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024