web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Crimping mod ends on those cables essentially turns them into patch cables. Patch cables eventually fail and need to be thrown out and replaced. You don't want to treat your structured cabling like a bunch of patch cables.

Treat your structured cabling and terminations like a permanent fixture. Once the cables have been terminated, you shouldn't have to move them around or plug them into anything. That's what jumper wire is for.

I still stand by my advice to let a professional do your terminations. If you're looking for shortcuts rather than just following grider's instructions, then you're probably coming to the same conclusion by now. Honestly, there is no shame in not doing the terminations yourself. I teach a cabling course, and I cannot think of too many students who could do the lab work based only on reading descriptions of how to do it. Not without butchering the job anyways. If you really want to learn how to do this, you need someone to physically show you how. Every situation is a little bit different, and only someone with experience is going to know how best to deal with your exact situation.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Hi Grider, from your tutorial, I think I understand terminating the 66 block. I was wondering about what those 66 blocks are for.

Thank you.

I want to make sure I understand it correctly.

On the left side of the 66 block. Cable 1 to 6. Untwist and Punch down each twisted pair on the left most clip. Blue, Orange, Green and Brown pairs

On the right side, continue with cable 7-12, do the same thing on the right most clip.

I would need 3 66 blocks for 25 cables. For the cabling job, is this all I have to do?

I know how to terminate to a Patch Panel for cat5e cabling. I was getting confuse because mainly this is the first time I am doing telephone caling.

Thanks Gridger. You love your coffee, is there a particular brand/favor you like? Starbucks?
Have a nice day all.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Those 66 blocks that you mentioned are pretty much for terminating station cables with a jack on each end. The fact that the equipment end is on this block just makes it go a little faster. You would then run patch cords from each jack on the block to the corresponding jacks on the system (i.e: Panasonic, Partner, Comdial DX80). This is not the most preferred way to do things since you are basically committing the wiring system to one particular family of systems.

You should terminate the cables from top to bottom down one side using a standard 66M1-50 block. It's OK to stack these blocks vertically. If you choose to do this, the left side of the lower block becomes cables 7-12; the upper-right of the top block becomes cables 13-18 and so on.

This would end up leaving you with a single cable on the third block, but that's OK. You need to leave additional block space for future cable runs. For the third block, make sure to leave the width of a block between them horizontally (about 3") for jumper routing. Better yet, use a factory backboard (183A1 for example) which will provide 89-type brackets that are spaced in a uniform manner.

Using standard 66M1-50 blocks also leaves your installation more universal, meaning that any system can be connected to your wiring with ease. Simple cross-connect wiring affords much more flexibility in the long run. Using pre-terminated blocks that contain jacks are really not the way you want to go.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Starbucks sells easy to mail gift certificates. Do you need my address?

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,389 Shoretel
189,109 CTX100 install
187,417 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (nfcphoneman), 124 guests, and 372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024