web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
OK, here's another one. I'm going to post it to the TCI list as well, but I thought folks here might enjoy the topic. This is a Bell System labeled jack wired to the end of a two-line Princess phone I bought a couple years back at a hamfest (for $3!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chiclassiccomp/451889367/in/set-72157600057630660

I was lucky enough to find a new-in-box jack that matched it in a large lot of phones and phone gear that I got for free off of Craigslist a short time ago. Talk about dumb luck! The box is labeled "551a50" but that doesn't turn anything up via Google, etc.
I initially thought it was a two-line version of the old 4-prong standard jack, but four wires takes care of two lines just fine. I've never seen anything like it. Could it be for key systems? I know some Princesses were wired for them, although I've never seen one.

Feel free to browse the rest of that photo set. I'm trying to finally get my collection(s) up on the web.

Vintage computing in the Chicago area: http://chiclassiccomp.org
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

wow that is a very neat collection!!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
That jack was a "universal" plug/jack assembly that was used for a variety of functions. Mostly, it was used for 1A2, since it provided six pairs. This was enough for two lines which was considered a luxury in the late 1960's and 70's. Some households considered a single line on a single phone to be a luxury at the time, and it was likely to be rotary dial! This hardware is compatible with most of today's mountings, even outdoor jacks. They will fit in today's standard 43C rings, as well as the round pre-wire rings from the 1960's. They occupy the same footprint as today's 625-type modular jacks.

551A was the part number for the surface-mount jack itself; 551B was the flush-mount version. The -50 was the color code for ivory. They were also available in -49 for gray and -60 for beige (very rare since Bell companies didn't use beige).

Six-button 1A2 phones were manufactured (actually refurbished) with six-pair line cords specifically for two-line use. I saw many of these jacks installed in weatherproof housings around deck/pool areas during this time. New Jersey Bell charged an additional monthly fee for this; the luxury of being able to unplug the phone from the family room and drag it out to the pool area. These six-pair line cords were actually available in lengths up to 50 feet!

Of course, this was long before the advent of cordless phones.

Chances are, that Princess phone was used in conjuction with a 1A2 system within a home and the line cord was wired accordingly with the necessary A-leads. There were no in-use lamps on Princess phones, so the user needed to know which line was needed. They could press the line key down while hanging up to place the call on hold for pickup from other stations. Oh, and no, there wasn't an "RJ" designation for this jack. This was long before the USOC even existed. Every installation was unique and wired according to the customer's requirements.

The defense rests.....

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Hey, thanks...a two-year old mystery is solved!

Now in addition to showing off "that weird phone jack" to friends (don't let it be said I don't know how to entertain) I can wow/bore them with all the details, too.

Thanks much

-j

Very cool collection!

What's this phone?

OP Offline
Originally posted by twisted pair:
Very cool collection!

What's this phone?
Thanks - that there is a Western Electric card dialer phone. I believe mine is a model 2600, with the rotary being model 600. You punch out a number on the plastic card, just like an old computer punchcard, and feed it into the slot. Hit the button, and it reads in the card, dialing as it goes.

This page has a short video clip on it:

https://www.porticus.org/bell/telephones.html#CARD%20DIALER%20TELEPHONE

I think I used to see the old Rolm system (6000, 7000, 8000)operator consoles wired with that jack back in the late '80s and early '90s.

We had some blind people around here using the punch card phone for telemarketing about 25-30 years ago

Serving greater Fond du Lac WI with Allwrox and Panasonic Phone Systems
www.fdl.net
www.jzorn.com
Who is the owner of that card-dial phone? I'll fix it. It appears from the faceplate that it's a 1970-1973 vintage unit. Same with the strain relief on the handset cord. The dial, however appears to have been replaced sometime after 1974.

After 1974; the "0" button was changed from "Operator" in a semi-circle over the 0 to simply "OPER" across the top of the button during that time.

Send me a PM if you want it fixed. I'll do it for free just to say that I did it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Originally posted by ev607797:
Who is the owner of that card-dial phone?
Mine smile Sent you an email...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,579 Shoretel
189,457 CTX100 install
187,615 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024