Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#447183 10/09/07 01:49 PM
BOGBS Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi there,

I had a questions about compatibility with a few accessory items for an M150 block (PN# S66M1-50)

Would PN# MC4LH-4P-9 (high-profile orange cover for M450-type block) be a compatible item? I'm assuming so, since it's standard with the pre-wired RJ21x/ blocks, as far as I know.

I'm trying to build a termination block without a 25 pair connector, so it's a piece by piece part assembly.

I'm spec'ing to mount with an S89B bracket, unless a D bracket is any better. I'm assuming that the B should be fine, considering I won't be using a 25-pair connector.

Do you prefer RJ21x blocks wired with CO on the left, and premise on the right, with bridging clips on the center two clips? (aka for removing the bridging clip for removing inside wire)

I'm still in the process of pricing it all out, but I may just go with PN# 700A-66-B1-25, although not using the 25 pair connector. It is in fact all I'm trying to build out, sans the connector, as it's not needed.

Hopefully this all makes some sort of sense. I'm sure I've made myself look inept somehow. I'm somewhat brainless after the 500 miles driven in the past couple days.

Thanks for the help, ahead of time.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#447184 10/09/07 04:17 PM
Admin
Admin
You did fine. The orange cover, or a blue one, are fine and will fit on a 66 block. I prefer S89-D brackets, but that's because I want to be able to take the block with the cable away from a backboard and leave the bracket intact.

If you just need the cover for the identity, it would be foolish (read expensive) to order any block with the amp connector on it. I think the last time I bought the orange covers they were maybe $2 each.

Carl

#447185 10/09/07 04:28 PM
BOGBS Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for the reply. I'm used to working the RJ21x blocks, so I wasn't quite sure on this particular project.

I figured that the amp connector would add a premium, so that was why I wanted to line up both options. I also figured why install a block with something that is not going to be used in the application.

I'm getting a quote from my vendor tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure the piece by piece list will still work out to be less than the RJ21x block.

As it stands right now, I have a parts list for:
-M150 block
-Standoff bracket S89D
-High-profile orange cover
-Self-adhesive label
-Bridging clips

I think I'm good to go for now, but I just wanted to double check that I had the right part for the cover. And I also will keep the D bracket in mind as well. Intact parts are much better ones, especially considering the fact that this block may be lifted a few times before it's put into full service.

#447186 10/09/07 04:28 PM
KLD Offline
Joe, a S66M1-50 is what you want. I don't have your catalog but the orange cover is set to fit the "M" style block. Feed is from the left, to the field (CPE) is to the right.

Use either the "B" or "D" bracket....I prefer the 89B. Personal choice. I normally have the 66M1-50, 89B bracket, and bridging clips on the truck. I don't need the orange cover as at&t furnishes them..... eek

Now, for your part number 700A-66-B1-25. I don't recognize it as I don't have your catalog, BUT, "1-25" normally means only 25 pairs mechanically and therefore electrically connected----no way to "pull the clips" to open the circuit. Plus "M" blocks are just over 10" tall. "B" blocks are more like 13". Hmmmmmmm.

Now what? Just use the 66M1-50, 89 bracket of your choice, feed the jumpers CO feeder on the left, to your equipment on the right, put in the clips, throw on the cover, and call it good.

Oh, by the way, don't forget to mark the lid with which circuit is on which pair and, on the outside, the user's name and suite number, if applicable.

Just like Verizon ...... :rofl:

Good Luck!

Ken
---------
#447187 10/09/07 05:21 PM
BOGBS Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, KLD. S66M1-50 was the exact PN I had, which is great to confirm. I think I may just order some B and D brackets and figure which one I'd like for the future. I know that the D bracket is technically for utilizing more amp connectors, but it's still a matter of preference in my case.

I have an older Siemon catalog, but the 700A-66-B1-25 is listed under Network Interface Blocks, within the S66 Connecting Block System and Pretection Section. This is actually an RJ21x, as my local RBOC uses.

I'll be thoroughly labeling this block for sure. It'll have the SP name on the front, along with business name. I'm going with labels inside as well to label #'s and circuit IDs. I know some who don't believe in labeling, but it's a big thing with me, especially in commercial applications with several circuits.

I'll have plenty more practice installing these next week for sure, as I have 7 to install in the upcoming week. I've worked on them many a time, but never had the chance to start with a clean slate, as of yet. As long as it's not kneeling down and wrapping 28 T1s, as I was doing a week or two ago. My legs have finally forgiven me for that one.

It'll be a pseudo-Verizon block in no time, minus the 25 pair connector.

#447188 10/18/07 01:22 PM
BOGBS Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by KLD:

Now, for your part number 700A-66-B1-25. I don't recognize it as I don't have your catalog, BUT, "1-25" normally means only 25 pairs mechanically and therefore electrically connected----no way to "pull the clips" to open the circuit. Plus "M" blocks are just over 10" tall. "B" blocks are more like 13". Hmmmmmmm.
Good Luck!
Hello, just wanted to update my thread here. 700A-66-B1-25 is a split block with a 25-pair connector on the left side. It does operate as a split block technically, but is only setup for 25 pairs. It utilizes the bridge clips to interface with feed wires, and then bridges out to the 25-pair to interface with equipment. You could also feed it from the connector, but that swaps the feed lines to the right side, and inside wire to the left. It's not really the best way to use the block, however.

All of the other parts worked fine though, the high profile orange cover worked as thought. I'm glad I did the research. It's especially a good thing if you cannot get your hands on items before purchase. I'm actually using a combination of the blocks with 25pair connectors, and the standard M150 as well. I came to my senses and used the proper equipment for each job, without any extra unneeded features. As predicted, the RJ21x style block was a bit more expensive. As soon as you add amp, or 25-pair connector to anything, prices go up. That's fine though, use the right materials for the job, and it's a good thing.

Please excuse any lack of proper terminology, I've been incredibly busy for the past few weeks, and it's continuing into next month as it looks now.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

#447189 10/18/07 02:05 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Well, here's a little bit more information that you probably don't need:

Yes, the "B" and "M" discussed here aren't the traditional B's and M's used with 66 blocks. The 700 series network interface jack was originally a Western Electric part. The part number that you have was originally theirs, dating back to the mid 1970's. Other manufacturers, such as Suttle, Siemon and Ortronics began making electrically identical "RJ21X" jacks under this same part number once AT&T allowed its Bell companies to purchase such items from other manufacturers.

All telcos, whether RBOCs or independents, were supposed to deliver multi-line circuits on an RJ21X jack, but they stopped following those rules years ago. Now, you get whatever they have to offer and you are glad if it works.

The "A's, "B's" and "25's" were treated much differently than standard connecting block nomencature:

700= Family of network interface jacks
A= Type (A or B) (A: bridged CPE connections, B: series CPE connections)
66= Type of block (66 or 110)
B= 25 pair connector on right side, female
1= Version, or revision
25= Number of one-pair circuits supported

A "legal" RJ21X jack involves the incoming circuits on the left column of the block, a bridging clip across the pair's row, and the output via the 25 pair connector. Nobody does the connector thing or even follows FCC guidelines anymore; they just run the output via the right column. Jumper wiring is usually all that's used for in/out connections.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#447190 10/18/07 02:48 PM
BOGBS Offline OP
OP Offline
I actually like to have all the information that I can get. I really appreciate the coding information as well. I figured it wasn't a standard Siemon P/N, and more of a Bell/RBOC one.

I was under pressure from a higher up to spec out equipment, and I unfortunately made myself into one of those who ran incoming lines via the 25-pair connector, and equipment via the left side. In retrospect, I requested the RJ21x style block, but used it improperly. In retrospect, I would have been better off just using a split 66 block with a 25 pair on the left side of the block, such as Siemon's M2 series blocks, or something similar, depending on application.

I'm a little upset at myself for using the wrong equipment for the job. Nothing like learning the hard way... It won't be happening again, I can tell you that. If I was thinking straight, and using my actual knowledge of how an RJ21x is supposed to be setup, I wouldn't have made the mistake.

I think I got stuck on the fact that I was feeding the block with a 25-pr connector in some cases, and neglected to find the actual part number needed. I guess this gives me an even better case to perform more survey work before large installations. I have some issues with last minute requests, such as pressure that leads to mistakes like this one, but that's a personal issue. At any rate, thank you for the information. Hopefully I can help someone in the future.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,618 Shoretel
189,509 CTX100 install
187,769 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 137 guests, and 353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024