Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
#448542 04/04/08 12:23 AM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by 93mdk93:
Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
[b] I haven't priced out cable lately, but when I did there was definitely a difference between cat 3 and cat 5e...
hey, i'm in the heart of Amish country and the first joke i heard upon moving here was: "how was copper wire invented? by two Amish men fighting over a penny!" believe me, people around here like to save money like they think the Treasury is gonna stop printing it tomorrow.

but if that's all we're on about, i'd be willing to bet that i can make a case that CAT3 costs MORE to install than CAT5. [/b]
I will bet that shiny Amish penny that you can't make that case... now, as Gary Winston said "Surprise me, challenge me, defy me!"

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#448543 04/04/08 02:10 AM
How do you figure? If you are talking all cat 5e, all on patch panels, then I might agree. But if you are talking about running cat 5e to 66 blocks, then no way. Yes, I have seen people do that.
From your statement, I get the feeling you don't often see CAT5 terminated on 66 blocks. Around here that's what we find probably 90% of the time. You get pretty fast at it too with enough practice..

Originally posted by hbiss:
Obviously you don't use plenum listed cable. That's all we use because most of our work is commercial in air handling spaces. CAT5e is almost twice that of CAT3.
You are absolutely correct, Hal. We don't even keep plenum in stock; it's ordered as needed, which is rarely.

And I totally get what you're saying about termination time on big jobs. For most of our jobs, we're not doing enough drops to make a big difference.. I get it though.

Originally posted by MacOSX:
I will bet that shiny Amish penny that you can't make that case... now, as Gary Winston said "Surprise me, challenge me, defy me!"
Why does talking cost justification with a Mac guy seem like a bad idea? =) (just playin - we do Mac too, although not a lot)

I'm no accountant but the thought behind my admittedly hyperbolic statement was factoring more than just material costs. Space on the truck costs money, space in the warehouse (or converted barn, in our case) costs money, freight costs money..

I've been doing our purchasing for about three years now and still don't have all my landed costs worked out.

Hal makes a great point about repetitive strain injuries too.. with the absolutely obscene cost of healthcare in the US today, that alone probably negates all the things I've been considering by an order of magnitude or two.

Good food for thought, gentlemen. Thank you.

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
#448544 04/04/08 02:46 AM
I heard the same joke, but it was two jews, not amish....

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
#448545 04/04/08 03:11 AM
Originally posted by RobCalltrol:
I heard the same joke, but it was two jews, not amish....
religious jokes are the new ethnic jokes. laugh

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
#448546 04/04/08 04:10 AM
My point is that it is much faster to terminate cat 3 on 66 blocks than terminating cat 5 on 66 blocks.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#448547 04/04/08 04:45 AM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Originally posted by 93mdk93:

Why does talking cost justification with a Mac guy seem like a bad idea? =)
:rofl: good one smile

I am guessing since your reasoning is shipping and space, that you do small 1-5 cables at a time type of AMC jobs that are mostly data anyways?

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
#448548 04/04/08 07:05 PM
My point is that it is much faster to terminate cat 3 on 66 blocks than terminating cat 5 on 66 blocks.
i have no problem giving you the point on that. it's even faster to terminate cross-connect wire on 66 blocks.

I am guessing since your reasoning is shipping and space, that you do small 1-5 cables at a time type of AMC jobs that are mostly data anyways?
well, no. our business is primarily small(ish)telephone systems and we often wrestle the cabling jobs away from the sparkies and bored CGs. our average job is under 50 drops, equally voice and data. say, two 12-port vertical patch panels, four 66-blocks, six 89Ds and a handful of mushrooms.. =)

however, i've taken more accounting classes than i have technical and even as anal-retentive as i am about doing things correctly, i'm always doing job costing in my head. our margins are slim but adequate as long as we don't confuse our objective, which ultimately is to turn a profit. as we grow, it's increasingly critical for our practices to be scalable (not to mention competitive).

that's the whole reason i'm asking questions: i want to be very careful not to lose sight of how things should be done when i'm making certain we're not losing money doing our work.

#448549 04/26/08 11:45 AM
Originally posted by binbrain:
...in a different thread that Hal stated that patch panels should never be used for voice. I found this really interesting and was wondering why? I was also hoping someone could post a picture of what a text book good install would look like....
I've done voice and data for decades and really do not see much of a difference between them. Ethernet over Twisted Pair was developed to utilize existing voice telephone cables. I've run LAN connections on the violet pairs of a 25-pair cable feeding a 6-button KTS phone. No Problem!

I haven't started yet, as there have been delays, but I'm installing a roughly 200 position call center. Everyone gets a quad-4 ... four 4-pair "RJ-45" jacks to be used for whatever: corporate LAN, DSL LAN, digital telephone, single or multi-line analog telephone, even lamps and switches. All the cables will terminate on patch panels in the equipment racks. Each floor position laid out vertical on four 24 position patch panel.

The rep's phones are on an Avaya whatever. The lines from the Avaya terminate on connectorized 66 blocks -- running the cable involves attaching a pair of 25-pair connectors. Supervisor lines are local Centrex analog and arrive from the 1.1 on tie cables that I actually had to punch down. Both will be cross-connected to either 2-w jacks or 8-wire jacks, depending on whether or not they only use pair one. These 66-blocks are also connectorized, and Panduit makes both 1 pair and 4 pair connectorized patch panels.

In the equipment rack I'll be mounting (with some variation):

24 2-wire patch jacks (1 ru)
24-quad-4 floor cables on patch jacks (4 ru)
48 port LAN switch
48 2-wire patch jacks (2 ru)
48 port LAN switch
24 2-wire patch jacks (1 ru)
24 8-wire parch jacks (1 ru)

95%+ of all patch cables in the equipment racks will be 12" tip to tip running vertically between the LAN switch and a floor jack or a voice patch and a floor jack.

Telecommunications Installation and Repair: April 1, 1966 -- November 30, 2011
#448550 05/21/08 08:02 AM
Talk to some of your suppliers and you will find that they are not selling Cat 3 and that it is a special order. Just got off the phone with these 2 suppliers - All Per 1000' Pricing
IE - Graybar - Cat 5E Riser *******
Cat 5E Plenum *******
Cat 3 Riser *******
Cat 3 Plenum *******

El Supply - Cat 5E Riser *******
Cat 5E Plenum *******
Cat 3 Riser $not available
Cat 3 Plenum *******

you will still find Cat 3 at your HD or Lowes but I am told in my area that it will not be stocking it when they run out.

We have been using Cat 5E for voice for the last 4 years and found that the cost is a fraction more. We always use Cat 5E 8 pin for Data and Cat 3 4 pin for voice. There is a little more time to terminate on a 66 block, but very little if you have an experienced tech who is used to cutting down large number of cables. We also use white cable for voice and blue for data unless we have a request for a specific color.

Just my $2.13 cents worth. laugh

Cosmo

Edited due to forum policy violation regarding posting of pricing in public areas.

Rick "Cosmo" Mercure
Tri Star Telecom
Sebring, FL http://www.tristartelecom.net
#448551 05/21/08 08:29 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Rick, you might want to shop your suppliers more. There is quite a significant difference in the cost of C3 vs: C5, about 20% here.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,730 Shoretel
189,780 CTX100 install
187,934 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 147 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024