3) Dial 9
4) Dial 1
5) Dial 1

Sometimes people make a mistake when making a long dist call:
1) Dial 9 -- to get outside line
2) Dial 9 -- because we have Centrex phone lines
3) Dial 1 -- to make a long dist call
4) Dial 1 -- oops

The problem is that ESI thinks 9911 is making a 911 call. (99911 is 911 :rolleyes: )

So... the receptionist phone rings. If nobody is at the receptionist desk, somebody has to drop whatever they're doing, get up, go over to the recept desk and answer it. :rolleyes:

Phone pick up (the star key) does not work when the 911 alert is activated. Does anyone know a way to pick this so we don't have to stop whatever we're doing when this happens?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#463824 01/16/08 10:08 AM
If your system is an IVX 128 or later, it should be programmed to automatically insert the 9 for the centrex access code. This can be programmed by anyone with installer level access under Function 221.

This might not solve the problem altogether, but it should lessen the incidence.

You could also use the external dialtone preference feature at each telephone (User program 34) That way there are no 9's to worry about

Brian Dunne
ETC Telecom
www.etctele.com
#463825 01/16/08 10:08 AM
have the system dial the Centrex 9 for you or what i had to do at one customer is put the trunks in dial 8 group

Martin Wolfe
Wolfe Communications
Servicing the North Bay
Sonoma, Marin, Napa, Lake, San Francisco, Mendocino
ESI, Avaya, Star2Star,and Toshiba Installer
#463826 01/16/08 10:33 AM
The user error of inserting the second "1" is next to impossible to overcome. I think what is being ask here is how to deal with the automatic internal 911 alert that is sent to the operator extension. First of all it is not logical to have an extension that is frequently abandoned defined as the operator extension. The operator extension could be redfined in installer programming to be any extension you desire or could be a group of extensions if you desire, thus relieving staff members of the need to get up and go answer the reception/operator phone.

Another possible solution is to CFWD from the current reception extension to an occupied extension.

As a last resort you could execute the next staff member that displays the lack of skills required to dial a phone number. If the average 10 year old can do it and they can't then society is better of without them anyway. Put a small memorial in the location of the dearly departed staff member (kinda like a cross at the side of the road) and this should encourage surviving staff members to learn how to dial a telephone. :idea:

#463827 01/17/08 08:23 AM
Chipper Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by grider:
First of all it is not logical to have an extension that is frequently abandoned defined as the operator extension. The operator extension could be redfined in installer programming to be any extension you desire or could be a group of extensions if you desire, thus relieving staff members of the need to get up and go answer the reception/operator phone.
Agreed -- unfortunately, we are a moving company and the housing market has resulted in a reduction of staff. We do not have the ability to change extensions (without it costing us) and due to current business condtions (again the housing market), this is not an option.

Originally posted by grider:
Another possible solution is to CFWD from the current reception extension to an occupied extension.
The phone is currently CFWD to another ext but the 911 alert does not CFWD. clap :thumb:

#463828 01/17/08 10:22 AM
Since Chipper was kind enough to indulge my sense of humor I did some hands on testing prior to this follow up post. I connected 3 extensions up to a 56s. 100-106 & 107 By default extension 100 was defined in programming as the Operator extension and I then placed a fake 911 call from x106 and it made the internal 911 alert to x100 as designed. I then redefined the operator extension to be x107 and placed another fake 911 call from x106 and the 911 alert went to x107 thus following the new definition of who is designated as operator.

In conclusion whichever extension is designated to be the "OP" is going to get the 911 alert. The GOOD news is this is a very easy change to make if your system is being supported by an ESI Certified Technician and that ESI Tech can probably make that change within your system from a remote location during non business hours. There may or may not be a charge for this because I can't speak for the ESI System Installer representing you.

If for some reason you have lost contact with the ESI Tech that set your system up then contact us here or in email and we'll see what can be done for you.

I must go for now, there seems to be numerous Police cars surrounding my house for some odd reason. help

#463829 02/04/10 02:05 AM
Just an interesting side note to this old discussion; I recently had a retirement community where 911 calls were often being made from the operator's position. In that case, the 911 notifications go to the next installed extension. This was an issue because the next ext was in an office that was locked at night. They couldn't get at it to acknowlege the notification.
I tried extension move to swap the office station with a phone at a 24/7 nurse's station, but the notification stayed with the port. bleh. Had to swap extensions on the block & then go through & change everybody's button mapping so as not to confuse anyone.

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,729 Shoretel
189,771 CTX100 install
187,933 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Carl Navarro), 88 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024