Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#470755 02/17/06 03:03 AM
OP Offline
I'm sorting this VoIP stuff out. We have installed Asterisk on a server. (I say we, I mean the data guys did that) I understand we now need to choose some kind of client to run on our PCs to act as a softphone. Correct so far? And that I need to decide on either SIP or H.323. ???
This is primary being pursued as an alternative to employees using Skype.

Richard

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#470756 02/17/06 12:06 PM
Richard: How are things at Peavey. That's a nice guitar. Give me a little more info on this Skype thing. How do you intend to use Asterisk, which is a local(on-site) solution to replace Skype (internet based service)? I don't know that much about Asterisk but I am assuming you will need to look into SIP softphones like XTEN. The free version is available here : https://www.xten.com/index.php?menu=download.

#470757 02/20/06 03:46 AM
OP Offline
Peavey is doing well. About the Wolfgang, thanks, she's one of my favorites, a fabulous guitar. It's so convenient to be a guitar player working for a company that makes among other things, guitars. I get to play with all the new toys and get good pricing.

First, I am not a data person so I may not use the correct lingo and I have a very basic understanding of what is going on. So, with that disclaimer, here we go.
We are doing more business overseas. Some of the engineers are using Skype to make calls and transfer files to our folks located over there. They say it's to save on long distance. Yeh, right. They do it becuase it involves a computer and the internet. The problem is we have no way of accounting for what goes on. If they call out of the PBX I can account for that. If they transfer files via email, we can account for that. And, as I understand it, there are some serious security concerns. The data guys take on it is that we should host (is that right term?) our own service. That way we are not taking something (Skype) they need without offering a good replacment/solution. We now have a Linux box set up with Asterisk on it, ready to go. Waiting for me to decide on a client to use on the PC. Sometime in the future we look into connecting it to the PBX.

BTW, Skype does work surprising well.

Richard

#470758 02/20/06 04:04 AM
OP Offline
I went to the xten site, now CouterPath. It mentions a free version of a SIP client. Couldn't find it anywhere.

Richard

#470759 02/20/06 05:11 AM
FOr some reason this link will not take you direct to the download. Clicko on the link then click on the "X-PRO and X-LITE under Product on the right. Then click on the USA Map and it will take you to the download. Once you get it downloaded, there are a lot of settings in it. Some you use and some you dont. I have a book I bought at Barns and Noble that has the settings you will need. It's at my house so I can't help you with any of that right now. Let me know and I can get it for you later if need be.

I Play acoustic mainly but sure need a good electric. I have a couple of really nice Guild acoustics. Also need a good acoustic amp or effects. Any advice?

#470760 02/20/06 05:11 AM
FOr some reason this link will not take you direct to the download. Click on the link then click on the "X-PRO and X-LITE under Product on the right. Then click on the USA Map and it will take you to the download. Once you get it downloaded, there are a lot of settings in it. Some you use and some you dont. I have a book I bought at Barnes and Noble that has the settings you will need. It's at my house so I can't help you with any of that right now. Let me know and I can get it for you later if need be.

I Play acoustic mainly but sure need a good electric. I have a couple of really nice Guild acoustics. Also need a good acoustic amp or effects. Any advice?

#470761 02/20/06 05:48 AM
OP Offline
Mark
https://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/104149/number/00486070/cat/257/begin/1/Ecoustic%AE+112+EFX.cfm
Check this out for an acoutic guitar amp with effects.

I just noticed that I typed CouterPath instead of CounterPath. Hmmm. Scarey.

OK I'll click on the US map ans see what happens.

Thanks
Richard

#470762 02/23/06 09:27 AM
Hi Mark you may want to try https://www.asteriskguru.com/tools/idefisk_beta.php its a softphone which uses the IAX (Inter Asterisk eXchange) protocol. Nice and easy to use with NAT firewalls as you only need to open port 4569

#470763 04/05/06 09:17 AM
To make your life even easier, you may want to look at asteriskathome.sourceforge.net You can download this, burn it to a cd, put it in a drive and come back an hour later and have a full pbx with a very nice GUI(point and click) interface with excellent call accounting.

#470764 04/05/06 11:08 AM
If you do try asteriskathome, be sure to read the warnings about the ISO install process.
It will reformat all disks on the system, and install itself, so make sure that you don't have anything on the system that you want to save.
If you just want to install it on a scratch disk for testing, make sure to unplug any other disks that you don't want to erase..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,307
Posts638,895
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,994 Shoretel
190,183 CTX100 install
188,353 1a2 system
Newest Members
dcl, Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks
49,771 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
dexman 4
Yoda 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 86 guests, and 143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024