web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
I've read a lot of the discussions here about VoIP, with some arguing that VoIP systems/phones can do the same types of things a TDM system/phone can. What I'm wondering about is what can a VoIP system do that a TDM system can't.

Specifically, here's some questions (and I'm sure there's plenty more) that I was hoping someone can enlighten me about:

Can I setup a TDM system to ring simultaneously a desktop phone and a user's cell phone?

If I can do that, and the called party doesn't answer, can that call be delivered to voicemail on the phone system, not the user's cell phone?

Can a TDM system user "log on" to any phone in the organization and see his/her message waiting lights, have calls follow to that phone, etc?

Can a TDM system allow for users to use soft phones through a Laptop for example, or allow one to work at home?

Can a TDM system allow for users in multiple locations to act as part of a single inside sales queue, even if that person happens to be at home?

Can a TDM system allow for users to access a web site to manage their call settings (such as forward targets)?

I'm asking because these are capabilities that folks at my employer have told me they'd like in a new phone system. I'm an IT type, but really don't favor IP over traditional phone systems. I just want to something that will fit what my "customers" want to do.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

You dont have to have a full VoIP system to do all of that. The Toshiba CIX(and im sure many others) can do all of what you described. A MAS and FearureFlex will take care of the simultanious ring and the Hot Desk application. An ACD system of some sort will take care of the queue's. Equip the CIX with an IPU card for remote users (IPT and SoftIP). MyPhone Manager for the changeable call settings.

As stated above, im sure that many other brands of PBX other than Toshiba have the capability of accomplishing all of this. The tricky part is finding the right installer to get it done and get it done right.

OP Offline
I've looked at some of the requirements for Voice over IP to the desktop from a network standpoint and it seems awfully expensive with the requirement for PoE switches, adding network drops to replace Cat3 for existing infrastructure, and the like. It just seems to me that there has to be some kind of benefit that one would get to justify the cost. Perhaps unified communications and presence? I'm not even sure if that makes sense as it adds additional management to the equation.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Steve:

Yes to most of the above. Our only limitation would be in regard to your first item about simultaneous ringing of TDM and cell phones. This feature would require that your lines be delivered via PRI, which would likely be the case anyway.

The last requirement can be done, but I'd be lying to you if I were to have you believe that an end-user could do it without messing something up.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Originally posted by EV607797:

The last requirement can be done, but I'd be lying to you if I were to have you believe that an end-user could do it without messing something up.
I know what you are saying. However, the Toshiba MyPhone Manager can be restricted so that the end-user can only access and change certain parameters.

OP Offline
Thanks guys. That of course leads me to ask what CAN a VoIP-only system do that a straight TDM or hybrid system can't? What's the big selling point?

Originally posted by Steve Brower:
I've looked at some of the requirements for Voice over IP to the desktop from a network standpoint and it seems awfully expensive with the requirement for PoE switches, adding network drops to replace Cat3 for existing infrastructure, and the like. It just seems to me that there has to be some kind of benefit that one would get to justify the cost. Perhaps unified communications and presence? I'm not even sure if that makes sense as it adds additional management to the equation.
Personally I don't see any huge benefit to having VoIP to the desktop. There are some real benefits to having certain VoIP capabilities on a PBX though.

Remote users for one. Sales people in different parts of the country all connected to the same PBX.

Netowrking PBX's via IP. How much would you save if you have an office in Minnesota and another in Texas with both PBX's networked so that you never had pay any LD between the 2 offices ever again. Same with a centralized vm, only have to buy one vm that will handle both of these locations.

Traveling employees with SoftIP's on their laptop so that they have an office ext. where ever they are.

These are just some of the benefits that you can get out of a PBX that is only part VoIP.

OP Offline
Yep, we've got the infrastructure to run voice between our locations as the WAN will support it. IP trunking is what leads me to want a system that's capable of IP. I've just been having a hard time finding anything that would make me think that IP to the desktop is a necessity.

Steve, it all depends upon who is selling it. Does VOIP to the desktop work? Yes, it does. Is it worth the added expense for the infrastructure? Well, the jury is still out on that.

You have mentioned in the past how your organization is set up. I remember that albeit outdated, the systems themselves are working fine; it's your Verizon issues that bring the most headaches. That's understandable. We have lost our service twice this week for the same reason.

Still, you are obviously seeing the benefit of working with tried and true technology. I've never seen you come here in nearly two years with a phone hardware question. That alone speaks volumes.

By utilizing TDM as the core of the system(s) and using the benefits gained through IP networking, your company receives the best of both worlds. My wife has not had to come to our office in over two years due to our ability to run remote IP phones from our TDM system. She has a wireless IP phone that she can use at Starbucks. Then there are soft phone programs. Regardless, they all operate from the core TDM system.

I'll be the first to admit that pure IP systems DO provide centralized management and for that reason, they are good. With TDM, there are still separate management utilities required in most cases. Truth be known, pure IP systems are probably easier to manage for a person of your level of expertise. At the same time, I'd bet that you could easily pick up on mixing TDM and IP from a system management perspective.

If you were to stick with hybrid (TDM + IP) systems at your remote branches, the same at your main location and use stand-alone IP phones or soft phones for remote personnel, you would be fine. You certainly would never have to deal with a loss of everything if any components of the system(s)failed.

You are at a tough crossroads for sure. With the size of your company, there's not going to be room for mistakes. You'll find that the general consensus in this forum is that one should not place all of their eggs in one basket. I'm pretty sure that you are already leaning that way.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Steve:

I agree with Ed's comments (above), you're best bet would be to look into any number of "converged" systems, which is what we typically sell when it comes to using IP technology... Basically the best of both worlds, traditional TDM to the desktop and remote IP phones, softphones, and the like whether it be a home office, traveling sales person, or a small office across town with only a few VoIP phones running from the main switch.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,700 Shoretel
189,731 CTX100 install
187,909 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 106 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024