Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#472253 03/28/08 09:12 AM
OP Offline
Ok so I posted in the ESI forum about investigating an ESI 600, using all IP endpoints. I'm also looking at Mitel 3300 - which you would think is worlds more expensive, but priced somewhat competitively, and also all-ip endpoints.

Whats the big thing about all IP endpoints? Hasn't Cisco been doing this for a while now?

We're moving into a new building thats being gutted and refurb. There is no walls or wiring there now.

If the phone network is kept seperate from the data network, should there be any worry to using IP endpoints vs. digital?

Mitel 3300Mxe running MCD 4.0, 5340 Phones
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#472254 03/28/08 11:06 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by orion3311:
If the phone network is kept seperate from the data network, should there be any worry to using IP endpoints vs. digital?
No there should be no worry. However, you may find that the TDM phones would be less expensive, especially when you figure in POE switches.

#472255 03/28/08 12:00 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Is there any particular reason that you feel the need to consider 100% IP? In your situation, any kind of system will suffice, but as already mentioned, 100% IP is going to cost twice the price. Unless you can come up with a cost savings justification to offset the price difference, you really should reconsider and go with a hybrid.

People do tend to equate VoIP with "free" long distance calling. In some cases, this is true when tying multiple offices together to eliminate inter-office calling costs. As far as connecting to the outside world, nothing could be further from the truth.

Just about all manufacturers offer hybrid systems with IP endpoints available on an as-needed basis. You'll save a bunch of money without sacrificing any functionality by purchasing VoIP only where it's needed. That can be today or in the future, so whatever you purchase, make sure that it supports IP. Your investment will be safe.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#472256 03/29/08 01:11 AM
Hi,

I think I saw your post a while back that you had a comdial that has worked well for 15 years. Why not look at the Comdial Vertical MP5000 or Wave. That would give you the best of both worlds from a company that has provided a solid system for you in the past. You may be able to reuse some phones or get a good trade in from Comdial. At least worth looking at. I do not know the esi system so I can not speak to it but if I owned a Ford for 15 years and it had 200000 miles on it and I had no problems, when it comes time for a new car I would at least look at a Ford. Good luck with the project.

Jim

Jim Hoey

SST Communications
597 West Montauk Highway
Lindenhurst, New York 11757

631 956-0100

www.sstcom.com

Business telephone systems on Long Island and New York City like Comdial, Vertical, Avaya, Panasonic
#472257 03/29/08 06:03 AM
I would consider this if you plan on using a single Cat5E or Cat 5for each location. IP phones require POE AND have to be plugged in FRONT of any end device. This forces your network to ONLY be able to be 100 MB. If you are running 2 Cat5e or Cat6 there is no reason you cannot put digital phones tailed out on a patch panel. Quite honestly, internally having the phones and the data network seperate offers you a level of rendundancy that I would think would be critical for that many phones. Now, outside people or networking system together IP makes all the sense in the world IMHO.

I would also consider the 911 laws of the state you live in as well. Being able to pick up your phone and simply move it around may not be in the best interests of your company without being able to restrict it in some way.

A list of things to consider:

1. Rendundancy.

2. Cost.

3. Do you want can you afford a network issue to affect phones as well system wide.

4. Totally understand licensing and madantory software upgrades for QOS/POE switches and the costs thereof.

Not to scare you away as I have many installs out there that run very well, biut require a TON more effort to maintain because there is more involed with IP. I would also make ABSOLUTLY sure you use the same brand of routers/switches from end to end and make what ever company that sold them to you responsible for them doing their jobs as specified and are compatable with what you want to accomplish.

My 2 cents...off my soapbox now.

#472258 03/29/08 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Coral Tech:
I would consider this if you plan on using a single Cat5E or Cat 5for each location. IP phones require POE AND have to be plugged in FRONT of any end device. This forces your network to ONLY be able to be 100 MB.

IP phones require POE? No! Most or at least the ESI (Since that is a system he's looking at) can be POE or run with a AC power adapter plugged into the wall, just like your electric stapler!

I would also consider the 911 laws of the state you live in as well. Being able to pick up your phone and simply move it around may not be in the best interests of your company without being able to restrict it in some way.

Huh? Moving a phone from Sally's desk in accounting to Sally's new desk in HR is a 911 consideration? Your CID is still the same, or at least is the same address. I guess if you're talking about it going across town, or to a home office, yes, but he's talking about a single office VoIP switch. Lets not get to confused here!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
#472259 03/30/08 01:45 AM
Incorrect on 911 in a multi-floor building, well in Illinois it is. That is why I stipulated looking up the laws.

Putting in alot of IP phones without using a managed POE switch? Surely you jest. Being able to have all the phones on a centralized power backup is key. Besides, wehen you need to reset the power on a phone it's pretty easy through a POE switch. Are there exceptions...of course and I have IP phones running off wall warts. But who would install anything over a couple phones with local power? You going to put a UPS at every station?

#472260 03/30/08 04:07 AM
Now there is a 911 idea combine e911 trunks, and GPS built into IP phones to auto update Address, and Rm Number, upon reboot.

#472261 03/30/08 04:02 PM
Putting in alot of IP phones without using a managed POE switch? Surely you jest. Being able to have all the phones on a centralized power backup is key. Besides, wehen you need to reset the power on a phone it's pretty easy through a POE switch. Are there exceptions...of course and I have IP phones running off wall warts. But who would install anything over a couple phones with local power? You going to put a UPS at every station?
I didn't say traditional AC power was the BEST way, it's just that saying POE is required is not a correct statement! I agree, unless it is a small (read manageable) site POE is the optimal way to go, but it's not required by any means. :toast:

#472262 03/30/08 04:08 PM
Incorrect on 911 in a multi-floor building, well in Illinois it is. That is why I stipulated looking up the laws
If the customer is going to limit the movement of VoIP sets due to local 911 laws, then they've lost the one thing that VoIP could do that digital couldn't!! :shrug:

Either way ESI's (again since we were talking about them) 911 Alert feature notifies the system operator of a 911 call and the extension number that made the call, so it's handled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,709 Shoretel
189,748 CTX100 install
187,917 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 86 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024