Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#473424 01/11/11 03:25 PM
Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
I have a customer that wants to get rid of their very old definity system and go with something like a Trixbox or such. The main issue is they have about 140 phones, 125 of which are single line telephones for rooms. I know you can add single line banks to an Asterisk, and I know Cisco makes a 24 port one, but its pricey. Any other options? They might end up going with a digital system depending on cost. About the only real application besides voice mail that they need is call accounting.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Channel Banks and T1 interface cards would be my suggestion. We have used the Adtran TA750/850 in call centers with previous wiring to the stations with good results. Plus they are modules so if a port goes bad you just swap the card (or hit by lightning/etc).

The Adtrans can be had used from refurbishers relatively cheaply which is also nice. I can usually buy them anywhere from $2-500 depending upon source.

A quad-port Sangoma T1 card will probably run you around $1500. They also make an octal (8-port) card which is around $2500.

The only other option would be a SIP Gateway. As you have noticed, they are quite pricey and no where near as "industrial" as the Adtran channel banks. The cheapest one I can think of would be the Grandstream GXW-4024 and i'm not sure 100% on the quality of it.

That's what I would recommend.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
James, will those channel banks supply MWI for the SLT sets? He'll most likely need that.

This place really needs a TDM or hybrid system. I'm sure Z-man already told them that. wink Good luck!

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
And, hospitality now demands PMS interface capability in 95% of new installs, new or old property!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
There is a 24 port FXS card for the Asterisk, but the number of interrupts and and the approximate $100/port makes it a non-starter for most applications. In your case, you'll need 6 cards and a REALLY fast, with LOTS of memory, computer. The Asterisk is priced out of consideration, from where I sit! Larry is right, the Asterisk is not competitive in Hospitality applications. At least not yet!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Couple of thoughts...

The Adtran 750 channel banks have an option called "On Hook messaging." I have never used it, but I believe that it is for sending voltage through the FXS interfaces to light a MWI.

For interface to a property management system, take a look at this and see if it interfaces with the PMS you have in place. Like most Asterisk products, I would try to talk to some people who have implemented it verses going off claims from the website.

If you do need preconfigured Asterisk, there are a lot more options than Trixbox. Trixbox seems to be falling behind the others in terms of updates and ignoring their free product to concentrate on their paid version. If you read their online forums you'll definitely find some dissatisfied users. PBX in Flash, Elastix, and Asterisknow all are worth looking into.

That being said, there is definitely a learning curve with Asterisk. If you are already comfortable with it then it might be worth investigating. On the other hand, if this is your first Asterisk system then this may be an overly ambitious setup for your first time out of the gate.

I do not know if the Adtrans would provide MWI. I've honestly never tried to use it. Asterisk will do the stuttering dialtone when you have voicemail though. That much I do know.

No clue on the PMS interface.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,717 Shoretel
189,755 CTX100 install
187,919 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, justbill), 129 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024