web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#474649 07/08/08 03:44 PM
OP Offline
I have been notified that I would have a new job task added to my AS-BUILT proofing laugh , actually I thought it may be a good way to learn all aspects of Telecom, working backwards though, I am looking for any type of training material to help me, as I will be learning while working, I am an office geek, very quick learner, and hate to go out looking totally stupid, they do know I have no Splicing experience, somebody help.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#474650 07/08/08 04:27 PM
First learn the color code, know it like your own name. There are many kinds of aerial and buried splice closures, as well as pedistals. There is no way you're going learn much about splicing until you have hands on.

Color code and learn cable count, you'll be ahead of the game when you start.

Retired phone dude
#474651 07/08/08 04:59 PM
OP Offline
thanks for that, I do media review (look at pics) I know the color code, bonding/grounding, you know the F2, but I would like to get some other type of material to read up on or dvd,online training, just to be aware of what they are going to show me, any suggestions?
action

#474652 07/08/08 11:44 PM
KLD Offline
Google "ABC Training". Also contact your local IBEW apprentice school. While you may not qualify, they usually know where to get the resources.

Ken
---------
#474653 07/09/08 04:06 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Action -

You need to ask a couple of serious questions first. Namely:

What sort of Copper Splicing will I be doing? What sort of equipment & tools will I be working with?

For example:

Inside wiring only? Or Outside Wiring too? If it's Outside Plant is it Aerial? Burial? Both? Manholes? Is Pole climbing required? How about using a bucket truck? If you're going up a pole with a ladder it's not just about leaning a ladder on the side of the pole. There are a LOT of Safety issues with OSP (Outside Plant) work. Being dead or crippled should not be part of your job description.

What sort of tools & splice connectors will you be working with? B-Connectors? Scotch UR/UG/UY etc connectors? Picabond? 3M MS/2?

Many of these are specialty items that require real training to be successful

Ask some questions, let us know the answers and we'll see what we can do to help.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#474654 07/09/08 05:14 AM
I suggest that you get a copy of as many (former) Bell System technician handbooks as you can. Check Ebay. There are ones for OSP, splicing, line work, maintenance, etc. Reading them will not be the same as hands-on training, of course, but will let you see the big picture, and help with the terminology.

Splicing installation, called CXM (for Construction, Removal, and Moves) is not the same as splicing maintenance, which is trouble-shooting, just like in an office, but in a much bigger way.

I suspect that you will be involved sooner or later in fiber splicing, since copper is on the way out as a medium of transmission. There are classes that teach fiber splicing.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#474655 08/13/08 06:48 AM
ABC's are very good books, however all the books in the world cant teach you how to splice. If you have any old heads in your organization hit them up and throw yourself at their mercy. You would be well advised to just offer to grunt for them for a while when you can and just watch and learn. Just please find one that does good work and learn from them!
Bill hit it on the head, color codes (Blue, Orange, Green, Brown, Slate...White, Red, Black, Yellow, Violet (why run backwards you varmint)). And work on your multiplication skills for pair counts. Splicing is a vastly different world from punching down a jack and plugging in a fluke tester...and be prepared to buy or beg for some tools there are some very very strange and archaic looking devices out there!

Don't get all sweaty and lean on the block...it tingles a bit!

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,396 Shoretel
189,121 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024