Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
You are more than welcome and thank you for coming here for advice. We do our best.
Hal, I was advised that I need only protect the pairs that I will be using. I expect to use 7 pairs on the cable - 1 pair for the CO line, and three extensions @ 2-pair per set is six pairs, for a total of seven. Was I misinformed?
Well....Sort of: To do things correctly, all cable pairs entering a building are to be protected with gas-tubes in a UL-Listed BET. Lightning or ground potential issues don't pick and choose the pairs they plan to hit. They can all can get it.

On the other hand, the number of secondary protection devices you want to use is entirely up to you. Think about this though: Those 66 block ITW units that you mentioned are very easily bypassed with a pair of bridging clips. What if one goes bad and your only quick solution is to throw in a few clips until you can order a replacement module? I'll bet that this will get moved to the back burner and the temporary fix will never get replaced. Use these if you feel that you must, but they are only capable of providing secondary protection.

I must say that when you do come here for advice, expect our answers to be guidance for the 100% correct way to do things. We can't and won't offer halfway solutions when personnel/property issues are at risk. There are also times where we don't make friends as a result, but we'd rather take that risk than give bad advice. I'm sure that you'll understand our position here.

There is always a cheaper and simpler way to do just about anything. I know that we can't subscribe to offering cut-corner advice to people that we don't know in far-away locations. We surely wouldn't base our suggestions upon "possible" or "normal" weather patterns. I think that we all know how those can vary, especially lately.

I'm glad that we were at least able to get you some suggestions. Please feel free to stay around and don't be afraid to ask anything. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Thanks again, Ed. I completely understand about the advice you guys have given, and so generously I might add. I didn't mention this before, but we're a very small Catholic church in a town with about 200 people. I'm sure you can imagine that money is always an issue, and when things like this need to get done, we always look for the most effective way that will cost the least amount of money. Our yearly operating budget is about $20,000.00, and if we wanted to do this project 100% right, I'm sure we'd probably be close to half that amount. I just want you guys to know where I'm coming from in terms of cost. If I could, I would most definitely spend the $ on a BET, but unfortunately, I can't.

Perhaps what I'll do is to contact our local electrician and see what he might be able to do for us to provide some protection without breaking the bank.

I'm very grateful for your help gentlemen, and for your advice. I will keep all of it in mind as the project progresses.

OP Offline
I did a little more looking this morning. Would something like this work:

https://www.circatel.com/pdf/100-66.pdf

And, according to this page:
https://www.twacomm.com/catalog/dept_id_602/model_FPP4.htm?sid=3BEBDBDBF4D444E310C46152A7E204B4

It says that I can protect only the lines/pairs I need. Is this correct?

Well, you are getting closer. There are some 5 pin protectors that are both primary and secondary rated and they are available singly. You don't need 100 of them, only 50.

That BET is nice but keep looking also. You want that same thing in a box and without that 66 block on the left.

Perhaps what I'll do is to contact our local electrician and see what he might be able to do for us

Good God! Might as well ask the devil what he can do for you! You NEVER want to ask an electrician ANYTHING about telecom or data or cable TV!! They know nothing!

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Yes, I agree with the many that said something along the lines that this needs to be done 100% correctly. Now with those on a budget will cause issues when not done properly. What will happen is that one of the secretarys will end up calling the telco provider if one of their internal extentions are down, and we will have to waste loads of time explaining that this is not our issue.

Try to go the professional route if possible smile

Have you thought about procuring some 6 pair OSP to do this project with? By the sound of it 25 pair is overkill, this would greatly reduce the price of properly protecting all of the pairs coming to and from the building. I don't have any laying around right now, but if you happen to see the local telco truck parked on the side of the road you might ask. Cable is far cheaper to buy than the protection.

Sorry re-reading this I noticed that you might need 7 pairs....they make a 12pr OSP cable as well.

Don't get all sweaty and lean on the block...it tingles a bit!
Off the topic, but within the thread...

Just wondering why neither Ed nor Hal responded to John's suggestion and scenario... wink

Harry at Telecom Equipment & Consulting
Specializing in Mitel systems for the Hotel/Motel industry
www.TECHarry.com
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Harry, I think they wisely ignored the suggestion! Must have, they are both still posting current comments/suggestions/info/whatever! smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,395 Shoretel
189,116 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, jeffmoss26), 140 guests, and 427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024