Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
skip555 Offline OP
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
OP Offline
I have a long time , good customer who is building a new store , they are getting dial tone from the local cable company for this location (not my suggestion )

they called today and said the Cable company told them that they would be unable to use the LD carrier that they use at all the other locations on these lines but would have to use the LD service provided by the Cable company

Ive never run into this and the customer is asking me if there is any way to force the cable company to allow them to use their own LD carrier. being that these are cable phone lines and not provided by the LEC I'm not sure whats required

I figured some of you here who work for LEC's and CLEC s might have some thoughts on this

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
The cable company is not technically a LEC in most states. Guess what, they can't be forced to do anything, INCLUDING publish tariffs! frown They play by a whole different set of rules that they can change without notice! Eventually, the FCC and the state corporation commissions will catch up/on, but for now they're pretty much in the non-regulation land that VOIP lines are in.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Isn't one of the big selling features for CATV companies that market phone service is free local and long distance calling? Seems as if that's the case, it wouldn't make much sense for your customer to want to go elsewhere for long distance.

Like John said, about the only thing that they actually have to do is route 911 calls properly. Other than that, they are pretty much free to set their policies any way that they want.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
skip555 Offline OP
OP Offline
excellent point about the free LD Ed , I was just reacting to what the customer reported and never thought that through

He did tell me it would be a toll call back to the warehouse (about 15 miles ) where the store is going is the north side of what used to be a divider for the LEC . Back before cell phones if I was working in that area it was 1.25 for me to call the office from a pay phone , drive across the bridge and it was .10

Skip

skip555 Offline OP
OP Offline
Update: the cable company is Brighthouse and they want 15 extra per line per month for unlimited LD

I met with the Cable company , Telco and GC on site in Aug before they started construction , cable comes in on one end of the property , Telco at the other . I strongly suggested conduit to each before the parking lot went in . Customer decide on Cable co and just did the one conduit run so they now are stuck with them

Skip

"Customer decide on Cable co and just did the one conduit run so they now are stuck with them"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OUCH!!! BOHICA applies! frown

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
It might have to do with tariffs and federal access charges as well. By not allowing alternate long distance carrier, they may be avoiding paying certain fees that a normal LEC pays. For example Cbeyond doesn't pay certain federal access charges because of the way they deliver their service. I don't know all the details but I think they list themselves as a internet provider with limited voice service. Similar to what the cable company does.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,735 Shoretel
189,798 CTX100 install
187,938 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 94 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024