Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#524862 02/21/11 04:36 AM
OP Offline
Hi,

A quick question about handset cords (again). I have an 'extra long' pink handset cord from an all 1962 phone that is extra long. It has been 'sprung', but I have been doing a lot of reading about how to restore the 'springy-ness' of a cord. What I am wondering about is how to restore the color of the cord. Part of it looks almost new as in a very 'pretty pink', but other parts look very salmon in color. I washed it in the dishwasher with dishwasher powder + real TSP and got all of the gunk-dirt-nicotine-coffee stains-God only knows what off of it, (don't get me going on that phosphate free eco-crap, it doesn't work and dishes look worse coming out than going in. I have discovered that half a tablespoon of real TSP in the main wash compartment and a quarter tablespoon TSP in the pre-wash compartment does wonders...)

Any way, I have my dowel rod ready to reform the cord once I get the color back if that is possible! Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
If you "roll" the coils into the opposite direction, this will tighten up the spiral. Not sure what can be done about the fading color though.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
click

This the Retr0brite project. Note the spelling of the word, which uses the ZERO instead of an OH, to denote the Computer Age influence.

In all plastics, there are flame-retardant chemicals, (generally bromine) which over time will leach out, causing discoloration of the plastic. The Retr0brite method uses hydrogen peroxide and UV light to reverse the process.

Their method has generally been used with hard plastics, but you might succeed trying it with a soft handset cord. If it doesn't work, don't fret, because pink hard-wired handset cords are rare, but not ultra-rare...yet.

Here are some pink items that might interest you. Part of my collection:

[Linked Image from atcaonline.com]

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
I experimented with the Retr0brite solution and only had success with off-white items. I think it bleaches the plastic.

Fortunately, new handset cords are usually easy to find. I only repair them out of convenience due to my lack of patience.

With handset cords, I have experimented wrapping them on a dowel after cleaning them and then hit them with a heat gun. If you aren't careful, the decision to toss them will be quickly made for you.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

I've never had any luck with using a dowel and a heat source since it tends to loosen the vinyl jacket, causing the cord to become more of a coil and less of a spring.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,848
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,658 Shoretel
189,554 CTX100 install
187,812 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (JBean3329), 177 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024