Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#527920 08/16/11 06:16 AM
OP Offline
Probably wrote about this before but the frustration is building. We have SBX's out there with modem cards on all kinds of lines, Cable provider, Verizon, DSL and no matter what we cannot connect to the modem in the SBX. I would say that there is about an 80% failure rate on this which is patently absurd. We play with the modem settings, change port speed, hardware, no soap. If we do manage to get in, the connection does not last very long. We have talked to tech support and they really dont have a clue as to why we have the problem. We have lots of XTS/XTSc and STS out there with modems and we have zero problem reaching the system and doing what we want. We use the same hardware in the office and the same lines. We for some reason sell the SBX to a smaller client who does not have spare IP addresses for use on remote access. Wondering if anyone has any simple solutions for this really bizarre occurance? Thanks

phoneguy1
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#527921 08/16/11 11:07 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by phoneguy10:
Wondering if anyone has any simple solutions for this really bizarre occurance? Thanks
Try a low baud rate, 2400 or 4800.

#527922 08/16/11 12:52 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Larry, it seems that he already tried changing the port speed settings. I'm seeing the same thing and have effectively given up as well.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#527923 08/17/11 12:13 AM
OP Offline
EV607797,
seems ridiculous but I am in the same boat. Yes I have tried changing the baud rate and honestly, the modems simply dont work. Call tech support and they ask the obvious whats in the book questions but can offer no real assistance. If I wanted to roll a truck for every minute programming adjustment I would not have sold the modem card. Everytime I think this SBX is going to be ok, I put one in and have ridiculous issues that simply put, should not be issues. I guess the answer is to look for a different low end product and call it a day. Bring Back the STSe.

phoneguy1
#527924 08/17/11 03:28 AM
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
I’ve been using modems on systems for 15 yrs anyway. In the last 5-6 years they have been almost unbearable. I think it’s because of the lines AND the cheap modem cards.

My scenario is this. I have a regular AT&T POTS line for my modems---1 internal on a laptop, 1 internal on a desktop, and 1 external on that desktop. I have one of Sandman’s modem gizmos on the line. I will switch from one to the other when I get frustrated . I change speeds from 1200 to 9600 over & over and I try to connect many times without success . I just keep trying.
As long as I know that MY stuff is good, I guess I’ll keep trying. It seems that at night (after 8:00) I have better luck.

I still put modems on all of the systems that we install (the older ones) but I love the IP system that we install---the remote stuff works absolutely 100% of the time. It’s great. We have remote not really for the customer, but for us. We just don’t have the time to go out and do all of the little programming changes that people want all the time. The only way we can handle it is through modems.

The modems are a pain, but it’s better than running out there during the week just to make a simple change---and it really helps when we get a tech on site, and I can program while he tests & verifies.

We have maybe 10 modems in stock for our DX80/120 systems and maybe 5 or 6 external modems for our Mitel customers. We don’t replace many, but if I just can’t get in---then that’s all we can do.
I feel your pain, phoneguy. When everything was POTS, it seemed to be much better. Better modems, too. I really don’t have a clue sometimes as to why they work or why they don’t. But when they work, it’s a wonderful thing.

#527925 08/17/11 07:34 AM
OP Offline
JW Racedog,
I agree they are great and I also agree on the IP but we dont always have that luxury. I see you are an Allworx guy, we do IPitomy. How do you like the Allworx?

phoneguy1
#527926 08/17/11 09:18 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The modems on the XTSc don't work so hot either...especially when they are connected to a PRI. Sometimes I wonder if it is the modem in my PC in the office that doesn't work so hot too.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
#527927 08/17/11 01:18 PM
OP Offline
I have to say that I have never had an issue with the modem in the XTSc, which by the way is the same card as the STS modem but cheaper. I use a Zoom modem in the office and it works fine, except of course when trying to connect to an SBX.

phoneguy1
#527928 08/31/11 01:00 AM
The next time you have a problem connecting to a SBX try restarting your PC. Yes, I know, it sounds foolishly simple, but give it a try and let me know the outcome.

I've noticed in the past that when I would dial into different systems (XTS, Norstar, STS, Dispatch, etc) that I sometimes could not connect unless I either rebooted the PC or went into Device Manager and disabled, then re-enabled my modem.

Last night I had to dial into a SBX and then a XTS. Both connected fine. Just for grins-and-giggles, I tried calling back to the SBX and could not connect. I went to Device Manager, disabled then re-enabled my modem, and then was able to connect without issue. (BTW, I had the modem set to connect to the SBX at 4800).

Let me know what you find.

#527929 08/31/11 02:24 AM
"Yes, I know, it sounds foolishly simple..." That makes me smile. smile Some of the stuff I do at times reeks of "voodoo behavior". Resetting and changing things feverishly or making sure everything stays exactly the same with the same ritualistic behavior seems par for the course.

I have done that, too---anything to make it work. It's funny, but since this thread has started, I have had 100% on all of my modem tries work good. I'm at 9600 on my Mitel connections using Telix and they are really cookin' for the last two weeks. My DX80 & 120s are going good too. Go figure.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  EV607797, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,307
Posts638,895
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,988 Shoretel
190,168 CTX100 install
188,350 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
dexman 6
dans 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 75 guests, and 85 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024