Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#551153 05/03/13 09:10 PM
Gary S. Offline OP
OP Offline
Started a large underground job. Thousands of feet of cable feeding multi buildings. The customer does not want to pay for lightning protection. Is there a national electrical code requirement to have protection or is it a installer customer descision ???

Thanks Gary S.

Gary Stevens
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Copper cables buried underground should be protected. The local code should provide the requirements.

I Love FEATURE 00
NEC 800.90 (A)

See page 6. Section 800.90(A) "A listed primary protector is required for each communications circuit."

This has been interpreted to mean that every pair in a cable, whether energized or not, needs to be terminated on a BET (Building Entrance Terminal) primary protector.

Your license, insurance, and reputation are riding on your ability to talk sense to your customer. In the event that you can't, then I would consider demoting him to "former customer."

Last edited by Arthur P. Bloom; 05/03/13 10:38 PM.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Gary, I know what you are going through. I'm amazed at how often I have had this discussion with people. It gets to the point where you are pretty much wasting your time dealing with them. I could list here some of the ridiculous claims heard over the years as to why protection is not only not needed, but not required by code. They are all bogus arguments made by ignorant people, some of whom really should know better.

There are exceptions in the NEC that apply in a very limited number of situations, but as you already know, the job you described is not one of them.

Put together a quote that includes installing a listed primary protector at each building entry point, properly bonded to the building's electrical service grounding point. If the customer asks for a quote for the same job without the protectors, tell them that you cannot provide such a quote. If they insist, then, as Arthur said, demote them to ex-customer. Learning when to "fire" a customer is the single most valuable skill I have ever learned in all my years, and I only wish I had learned it sooner.

At the end of the day, of course, most customers do whatever they want anyway. This is why it is good to place as much distance between them and yourself as possible!

Jim
==================================================
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.

Gary S. Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to the 3 answers and insight to my post. I will try to use this info with duscussions with the customer.

Thanks again Gary s

Gary Stevens
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
We are pissing up a rope on this subject with regard to NEC enforcement. I was in a newly-built high rise condominium in Arlington, VA two weeks ago. The electricians who wired the place ran 100 pair PE-89 (yes, gel-filled, direct burial) cables to each closet, chopped-down (yes, chopped) on 66 blocks. The resulting spaghetti mess in the basement utility room was nothing short of hysterical. There is icky-pick everywhere.

The inspectors don't have a clue about what is right or wrong with regard to telecommunications. All they understand is electrical and fire stopping practices. Just like most electricians, they panic when they see "all them pinks, greens and purples".

The gray area with regard to protection is the definition of a city block and the equally-gray definition of exposure to lightning. Both of these are subjective terms and referenced in the NEC. Verizon doesn't put protection on their copper plant in downtown DC at all; they just terminate it directly on blocks. They cite the lack of lightning exposure due to the tall buildings as their crutch.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
" The inspectors don't have a clue about what is right or wrong with regard to telecommunications. "

Nope, they sure don't.
All they want is the inspection fee $$$$$$$$$!

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Good comments, all. The NESC (National Electrical Safety Code) which is the "Bible" for all communications OSP foremen contains several regulations regarding underground communications cables and the means of protection, not JUST from lightning, but, also induced currents from power cables that can influence the safety of the communications circuits.

There was a recent article in EC&M regarding a supply feed fault in an underground steel conduit on the utility company transformer to inside building main switchgear. It's a gruesome and long story, but, the communications equipment and the personnel were protected from the catastrophic failure of the wire conductors and steel conduits because of proper underground cable protectors used to essentially meet NESC code rules for the protection of underground communications conductors.

There is NEVER an exception for end to end individual pair protection. Anyone telling you different does not know the codes, both NEC and NESC require. Furthermore, most, if not all, new construction is governed by the Universal Building Code which is clear in stating that the more stringent of the code requirements are to be used in regards to protection of electrical, fire, burg, telephone, data and low voltage circuits in ANY building. The liability issue is much too great for you to side step this critical requirement for circuit protection. The danger to life should trump the liability issue. I could not sleep at night if I agreed to go "cheap" and install unprotected communications circuits between buildings. The argument that the job is all underground is without merit. DO NOT DO THE JOB!

The inspectors are now just being trained to inspect communications circuits. For many years prior, the electrical inspectors were told they had no jurisdiction regarding communications circuits because the local "Telephone Companies" who all were signatories to the NESC "self inspected" and made sure there was adequate protection. Since that scope has been changed due to "owner" installed cable, the AHJ inspectors are forced to play catch-up. Get yourself a copy of the NESC and help the inspectors out.

Rcaman

Last edited by Rcaman; 05/06/13 09:21 AM.

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Gary S. Offline OP
OP Offline
After bringing the above info to customer, he agreeded to have protection installed. Now I'm up to my elbows with icky pic.

Thanks Gary S.

Gary Stevens
On the "upside" you'll have nice, soft hands to milk the cows with after all the icky pic work. smile

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,868
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,689 Shoretel
189,709 CTX100 install
187,894 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 114 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024