#556014 08/08/13 03:45 PM
OP Offline

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The "Village Voice" had a pretty big article on the same topic some two weeks ago...

Online version can be seen here:

https://www.villagevoice.com/2013-07-24/news/verizon-hurricane-sandy/

A damn shame is all I'm going to say...

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)
But...but...watch the polished PR videos...

Sad. Ma Bell is rolling in her grave.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
What a bunch of dung! They never cease to amaze me. The area where we just moved our office is just about completely transitioned over to fiber, in fact when we got our temporary POTS lines, their technician said that they won't deploy any new services over copper. I informed him that we have a pending order for a PRI from a CLEC and he told me that we probably won't get it since their FiOS network doesn't support it. I can't wait to see how this goes.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
ED, I hate to say "I told you so" (not to you, personally) but as a former employee and student of their Machiavellian policies in the past, long ago I told anyone who would listen that introducing FiOS (with the resulting tear out of the copper network, block by block) would spell the end of competition from CLECs who need copper to survive.

Indeed, it will be interesting to see what the PUC/PSC in your area says about this industry-busting tactic. Will you be the first test case? I hope so, and I hope you win!

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Technically, there is no reason FiOS can not support CLEC PRI. As Arthur indicated, this is a market ploy to muscle out the competition.

Here in western PA, Verizon sings the same song, however, in a large fiber only area, Verizon will supply CLEC services over fiber. I don't know if there is some kind of rate provision or it may be that if Verizon only serves an area with fiber, they have to support CLEC as well.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Is it possible that the ONT deployed for FiOS service does not support PRI/ISDN service?

Last edited by dexman; 08/12/13 01:49 PM.

I Love FEATURE 00
I'm not sure, Paul. As I mentioned earlier, the VZ tech who came out to deliver us three temporary POTS lines wished me luck in getting a PRI in the wire center that he works. He shook his head when I told him that we have a PRI from a CLEC on the way. He said that they aren't jumping through any hoops to deliver anything but POTS via FiOs.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Originally Posted by dexman
Is it possible that the ONT deployed for FiOS service does not support PRI/ISDN service?

FWIW...

Several months ago I was sent for training in "Enterprise" FiOS (as in voice/data but no video) and specifically asked about "other" types of circuits being provisioned over the FiOS network and was told "No way, no how". It's not really a question of whether ONT supports it, because in "business" environments you pretty much pick up your DT/data signal from a "block" (for a lack of a better word) the same way you'd do it with conventional copper/SLiC, and the end user doesn't have a dedicated ONT.

My hunch - although this is something that would be better addressed by dexman or someone else who holds a deep knowledge of the "inside" world - is that the entire CO provisioning of the FiOS circuitry is closer to the conventional OE dialtone world than to hi-cap carrier circuitry.

Now, I know for a fact that in Sandy-trashed Southern Manhattan they did replace a number (Hundreds?Thousands?) of muxes in order to be able to supply T-1/PRI type of service to zillion of businesses/government entities that still heavily rely on those.

I've asked several people holding different positions withing the company how one provisions a conventional radio line - which were dime-a-dozen downtown - over anything but copper, and have yet to get a straight answer...

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm pretty darn confused...but the future doesn't look bright for any type of circuitry sitting on copper, that's certain...

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,722 Shoretel
189,760 CTX100 install
187,921 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 105 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024