Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#56441 02/12/07 10:08 AM
stpayne Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello everyone! MY company just purchased a new Inter-Tel VOIP system a couple of months ago. We were scheduled to cut to the new system on Friday but cancelled because of excessive jitter. The Inter-Tel qualifier tool shows up to 80ms in jitter. However, our network is clean. Quick setup......office has a switch in it. from the switch we have a point to point connecting us to a data center where all of our servers and pri is located. we did this because of a previous power failure that lasted for many many hours. So we have only a point-to-point that is dedicated only for voice to get us to the data center where our pri, second phone switch, voice mail and unified communicator are located.
Here is the question. Why are we getting 70ms of jitter on a point-to-point connection that has no traffic and tracroutes both directions at 4ms? Has anyone run into this problem before? Could it be a configuration problem on the phone switch? I would like to cut over to this new system but will not do so until the jitter is gone. Any insight to this would be much appreciated. The phone guys installing seem to be unsure! YIKES!!!!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

First the PING command uses UDP port 7. Are you running the network qualifier using port 7? Or some other port that can be snagged by an anti-virus or firewall program? Some firewalls and anti-virus stop ports 5566 5567 and 80, and will "introduce" delay to it just by the software itself holding things up. I recommend using the utlities on machines with decent horsepower, and verify it is taking the correct route with, at minimum, a traceroute test. Also remember ping is latency x 2. 4ms is great. 80ms is scary. What type of routers are on each end of your PTP?

stpayne Offline OP
OP Offline
I did not know about using the qualifier on port 7. We are not running this point to point through a firewall since it is dedicated for voice within the network. We are using a Cisco 1750 on each side of the point to point. I am using my laptop which has a P4 1.6Ghz processer with 504 MB of RAM as the client. And I am testing to the brand new voice mail server which is extremely beefy. Traceroute verifies that the tes is going ove rthe proper circuit. It also shows that the speed is ~4ms going either way on the circuit to the other sides phone switch.

Here is how the settings are at on the qualifier. Yesterday was my first day to use it.

Server IP Address x.x.x.x
Audio Stream Receive Port 5004
Server call control TCP Port 5566
Audio RTP Type of Service 0

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,700 Shoretel
189,731 CTX100 install
187,909 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Toner), 120 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024