web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
rslygh Offline OP
OP Offline
Is there any type of firewall or protection on an OS7100 that would cause it to sporadically drop connections to particular subnet?

The reason I ask is because I can ping the MP20S card and another device on the same network from a new subnet I added, but the MP20S will work for a while, then drop a bunch of pings, then reply again, then drop, etc. The other device I ping which is on the same switch works fine. The MP20S also replies fine during that same time to local pings and also pings from a different subnet that existed prior to its installation date. It seems like a really odd issue to me, but has been causing IP phones I put on this new subnet to constantly fluctuate between connected, connecting to server, and no answer from server (no regi). Any help or ideas would be appreciated

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Samsung
Moderator-Samsung
There is no firewall on the OS7000.

Sounds like a routing issue within the network.

Do you have private with public enabled on the MP/OAS card?

rslygh Offline OP
OP Offline
Private only on the MP/OAS. The IP settings are correct on the MP/OAS too. That was the first thing I checked.

Originally I thought it was routing too, or the wireless bridge connecting the locations. But then I found that I can get consistent pings sent across that same bridge from within the same source subnet to the subnet the OS7100 is on but to different devices. When I ping the OS7100 from that subnet it drops a lot of traffic, but if I'm pinging the OS7100 at the same time from a different subnet that has existed for quite a while then I don't get the drops. The only two differences I've come up with is the problem site is connected via wireless bridge, and that subnet is new. I was hoping there was something with the subnet needing to be authorized but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

We had a problem lately with Samsung handsets across a Ubiquiti wireless link.
We were changing over a OS7200 to a OS7400, and while the handsets at the other end of the wireless link worked ok on the 7200 they wouldnt on the 7400 they would boot up connect and not do anything then reboot. (handsets worked ok without wireless link)

After a few days of wireshark traces it was tracked down to the network using the wrong mac addresses which was pinpointed WDS turned off. Turned on and seemed to work ok. Why it was only happening on the 7400 and not the 7200 we are not sure.

'the links send the packets through with their own (Ubiquiti) MAC and then a lookup is done to see where the traffic is supposed to go, With WDS on it sends the original MAC and packet through unaltered'

While this may be a totally different issue to yours may give some place to look.

rslygh Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks dreamkiller. My bridge is using Ubiquiti equipment so maybe you're on to something. I'll have to dig into wireshark more.

rslygh Offline OP
OP Offline
It looks like WDS is enabled by default on the newer Ubiquiti AC models and cannot be disabled, so it sounds like the MAC shouldn't be getting modified. I'll still dig into the packets more and see what I can come up with. They recently released new firmware for the Ubiquiti bridges too, so I may give that a try and see if any of the bug fixes help.

Might be duplicateIP address? What happens if you disconnect the 7100 and try the pings? (Of course you might have already tried that...)

rslygh Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks. I wish it were that simple, but it seems like the IPs involved are all ok.

These particular phones are sitting behind a VLAN that is routed to the subnet that the 7100 is on, and passes over a Ubiquiti wifi bridge on its way. The setting mentioned on the Ubiquitis is turned on by default now and can't be toggled off. What I'm going to try now is move the phones so they're on the same subnet as the OS 7100, then setup the PC port on the phones to use the VLAN rather than have it all on the same subnet. So far I haven't noticed the phone I've been watching drop all day, so hopefully that continues.

rslygh Offline OP
OP Offline
It's been a month and a half since my last post and I wanted to follow up since I hate when people don't do that in forums.

So far so good after moving the phones on the other side of my wifi bridge onto the same subnet/vlan as the phone system. I'm not sure why, but there must've been some craziness happening with the MAC address getting passed like dreamkiller ran into on the other Ubiquiti equipment. Either way, if you run into this type of craziness check the packet traces for which MAC addresses are getting to your phone system and adjust accordingly.

Thanks for the help in troubleshooting!

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,307
Posts638,899
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,013 Shoretel
190,197 CTX100 install
188,379 1a2 system
Newest Members
dcl, Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks
49,771 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 19
teleco 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 82 guests, and 162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024