Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#595629 11/30/15 11:30 PM
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Hey, guys. Been awhile since I posted here, but a minor, though irritating problem has cropped up and I figured, this is the place to ask. The short version is: Could my ACS be frying my cable co's eMta? Long version: I have had the cable company out twice because of noise on their fake phone line coming from the modem/gateway thing. Each time they come out, they hear the noise, isolate it to the gateway, and then replace it. The noise will be gone for a few months, then start to return. It isn't terribly objectionable, although with the last gateway it had gotten really bad. It sounds like a slight hiss on the line. The internal wiring of the house is fine, the problem is definitely in the gateway itself. I have no issues with the two OOMA devices providing DT for two other lines on the partner, or the Sipura/Linksys ATA's connected to the collectors network (C*net). All those lines are dead quiet. If I swap the noisy line for one of the others, the noise follows the line, and if I plug a 2500 set right into the gateway I hear the hiss. Sorry if this is long winded, but I wanted to be thorough. My question basically is: Could the partner be causing this? Is this an issue anyone has seen before? Also, all my lines go right from the device (eMta, ATA, OOMA, etc.) right into the partner. Nothing is bridged in between.

**EDIT: I replaced my processor finally so this is NOT the one that had the damaged board that I was using previously.

Last edited by ChrisRR; 11/30/15 11:33 PM.
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Spam Hunter
Online Content
Spam Hunter
Hey Chris,

I have my doubts that this is a Partner ACS issue. The proof would be to do the line swap for an extended period of time to see if the trouble follows the port or stays with the line. smile

I Love FEATURE 00
... the noise follows the line, and if I plug a 2500 set right into the gateway I hear the hiss.

End of story. The problem is not yours. And, no, the ACS wouldn't/couldn't cause the problem.

-Hal

ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Dex and Hal: That's what I thought, as well. My concern is this: I want to stop paying the cable company rent for this gateway. If I buy my own eMta, I want to be sure it isn't going to have the same fate as the the past gateways. My gateway. If anyone has had any experience with this model maybe you are aware of known issues. The model I'm looking to replace just the voice portion with is this one: Arris modem. Any thoughts?

Dunno. This is Comcast? Where I am (Cablevision) the emta comes with the service. I'm not sure if I could even supply my own and even if they would let me they make changes all the time. So if the emta were mine I would be responsible for replacing it each time.

So my opinion is as long as they own it, if it craps out it's their problem. Don't make it yours.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Originally Posted by hbiss
So my opinion is as long as they own it, if it craps out it's their problem.

-Hal

Sorry sir, we do not guarantee quality. You will need to figure that out for yourself.

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
They provided this thing, and certainly it's their problem if it craps out. That being said, it definitely isn't free with the service. They hose me with a rental fee every month for that contraption. They seem to be pretty good about coming out and "troubleshooting" when I complain. They just end up replacing the thing whenever it has an issue. I've had them out twice for the phone part of the thing, and a few other times for the data end of it.(Since it's also the modem/router/firewall/ethernet switch/wifi-ap/voice ata/kitchen sink etc.) One time the ethernet ports crapped out, another time the wifi got so weak you had to stand within 5 feet to get a signal. The list goes on and on. They, to comcast's credit, have been really good about coming out quickly and taking care of it. That *kind of* makes renting it worth the extra money, but we're talking about enough in rent to buy the stupid thing every year or so. If I could get them to give me a separate voice modem instead of the all in one box, that would be sort of alright. At least that way when it dies and they replace it, I won't have to reprogram the router with all our passwords and port forwarding stuff for c*net and assigned IP's and all that.
** Comcast charges us rent every month for each cable box, DVR, and modem they provided. Seems pretty lame you pay every month for cable service, and have to rent their equipment on top of it. They do allow you to buy your own modems and voice modems, but they have to be "Comcast Approved" and the list of approved modems is pretty thin. The fact that they charge me ten bucks a month for my set top box really burns me. It's not enough that I pay the regular charge every month to have the service, then I have to rent this box because I can't use the service without it. Crooks. Hence why I wanted to save the 10+ bucks a month on the damn modem.

Comcast has got to be the worst. At least Cablevision gives you the emta with the voice or internet service. You also get one set top box with TV service, each additional is like $6/mo. HD is included- does Comcast still charge extra for HD? WTF

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Spam Hunter
Online Content
Spam Hunter
Verizon charges extra for an HD box. bleh

I Love FEATURE 00
ChrisRR Offline OP
Moderator-1A2
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2
Yeah, they charge extra for HD boxes and even more for the X1 stuff. We have the X1 DVR, and the special set top boxes to access the DVR from other sets are more to rent than the regular HD boxes. We are paying close to $50 a month just in equipment rental. It's absurd. 1 X1 DVR box, 3 X1 slave boxes, the gateway, and one HD adapter- which is just a little cable box with no features. It really ticks me off, which is why I'd just as soon buy my own emta and modem/router. We really don't have any other options. Fairpoint is the LEC and they stink. They have no fiber here, which is stupid considering Manchester is the biggest city in NH. All they offer is DSL - when it decides to work. Satellite doesn't make any sense, we still have to get internet from somewhere. Comcast really has the city by the b@!!$. If FP had it together, at least fiber would be a viable option. We just can't get by with DSL speeds. It's a little bizarre, I can see the fiber overlashed to the huge copper osp out front, but they don't do anything with it. It's everywhere through the city, but from what I can tell, no subscribers are connected to it. Someone was telling me it dates to when Verizon had this area, and FP is too broke to finish it. I'm a firm believer that you need to spend money to make money. They would stand to make a lot more income utilizing all that fiber than they are ever going to make on that ancient copper. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a copper voice line any day, but around here providing internet and other services is where the money is at.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,801
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,358 Shoretel
189,028 CTX100 install
187,401 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (dexman), 132 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024