Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
tito1411 #603950 09/16/16 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by tito1411
While fiber is definitely the superior technology its just not practical to bring it to the desktop yet...

Why not? Terminations have become easy enough although I imagine the IT geeks would have problems learning a new manual task.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
LOL I'd place my bets on IT geeks learning new technologies faster than old farts can. The first reason is durability. Id much rather have end users dealing with something stronger than fiber. Then there's not really any advantage to converting to a new desktop cabling technology as copper gigabit to the desktop fills most needs and fiber can still be ran on an as needed basis. On my desktop I have both fiber and copper connections but all our end users are on copper. Then there's cost. As a whole fiber tends to be more expensive to implement than copper. I can recall back in the early 2000s when people were talking about fiber taking over and seeing the demise of copper but yet here we are......same stories I used to hear about VOIP ending POTS back way back in 1999.

Then there's not really any advantage to converting to a new desktop cabling technology as copper gigabit to the desktop fills most needs...

We're going around in circles here. We've already established that Cat5e "fills most needs" but the IT geeks have to have the latest "upgrades" which means that it will be Cat8 to the desktop.

I don't agree that fiber is any less durable than a piece of UTP. If it gets yanked on and stomped on under desks it's because some IT genius had no idea what neatness means.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
hbiss #603958 09/16/16 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by hbiss
We're going around in circles here. We've already established that Cat5e "fills most needs" but the IT geeks have to have the latest "upgrades" which means that it will be Cat8 to the desktop.

I don't agree that fiber is any less durable than a piece of UTP. If it gets yanked on and stomped on under desks it's because some IT genius had no idea what neatness means.

-Hal

Of course, having gotten bored and decided to read the spec, Cat8 has a maximum length of 30 meters. Sort of makes the idea of taking it to the desktop a little bit of a challenge.

Doesn't mean the IT guys won't try for it anyway, but it at least gives us the ability to say "ok, you're moving all your users into the server rooms?"

Ex-Norstar, ex-Definity, current NEC/Zultys/Hosted/sometime-IPOffice, wait, what? another damn system? kill me now.
seafort #603969 09/17/16 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by seafort
Of course, having gotten bored and decided to read the spec, Cat8 has a maximum length of 30 meters. Sort of makes the idea of taking it to the desktop a little bit of a challenge.

Doesn't mean the IT guys won't try for it anyway, but it at least gives us the ability to say "ok, you're moving all your users into the server rooms?"

Like I said in an earlier post. CAT8 is meant for the data center and not for the office environment.

Fiber to the desktop is happening all over. They are using a passive fiber network which keeps the cost down. Cost is the biggest factor as to why fiber to the desktop hasn't taken off.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
OP Offline
Please take the Windows Mac war to another topic. I read here that Category 8 is intended only for the data center. It is called 40GBase-T or 40G for short, meaning 40 gigabits per second. The article also has a picture of the cables. Category 8.1 has 4 untwisted pairs plus an overall foil sheath. Category 8.2 has a foil sheath around each pair plus an overall foil plus braided sheath.

Vaya con Dios amigos!
Butch
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Sounds like it'll be real fun to work with....

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Anybody notice that the Cat8.2 colors are W/B, W/O, W/G and white red??? Those look like old audio cables by the way. And if Cat8 is for data centers, surely they could afford fiber...

Time to stop kicking that dead horse.

-Hal

OP Offline
Apparently, there are three Category 8 standards: just Category 8, Category 8.1 and Category 8.2. Cagtegory 8.1 is also called Category 8 Class I, and Category 8.2 is also called Category 8 Class II. Say that ten times fast.

Category 8 and Category 8.1 will use the RJ-45 connector and Category 8.2 will not. It will the Siemon TERA® connector.

Last edited by Butch Cassidy; 09/18/16 11:06 AM.

Vaya con Dios amigos!
Butch
OP Offline
[Linked Image from comnen.com]
Here is a picture of the Siemon Tera connectors used with Category 8.2 cables.

Last edited by Butch Cassidy; 09/18/16 02:31 PM.

Vaya con Dios amigos!
Butch
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,580 Shoretel
189,460 CTX100 install
187,615 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 131 guests, and 220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024