Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Work in progress

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Ok

I have been working on installing external Valcom paging speakers to the outside of each building

This is a small charter school and every morning they play a song that lasts approximately four minutes to motivate the kids

They’re telling me that outside Valcom Paging Speakers, cut out intermittently during certain portions of the song

I have the output from the Algo 8301 double tapped going into the existing TOA 70v
And the audio pair from the Valcom

I’m going out there today to do some testing

Thanks

JD

Have you overloaded the Valcom power supply? What kind of cable did you run, and how far from the power supply are the speakers?

Last edited by tim10; 11/28/23 09:42 AM.
OP Offline
So I have an update on what I’ve done so far

After basically double tapping the output from the Algo, 8301 using the AUX OUT

Sending one pair of wires to the TOA amplifier (input 7) and the other pair of wires is going to the Valcom audio pair

The paging sounded fine. However, when they played music through it, it was all cut up on the outside speakers.

So I spoke with Valcom and they recommend using the 70 V adapter and tapping off the output of the amplifiers (speaker wire)

That seem to make a big difference

However, they are complaining that in one of the buildings cuts out only when the late bell ring

I talked to Valcom and he recommended instead instead of using the AUX OUT on the Algo 8301 to use the LINE OUT and connected to input one on the amplifier

I’m gonna be heading over there today to see what I can

Some of the bells work fine it’s just that one particular late bell. I guess they call it.

Does anybody have any information on the Algo 8301

From what Valcom was saying that the line out needs to be set for 600 ohms and then going into input one on the TOA amplifier.

Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
Valcom is right- use the LINE OUT connection on the ALGO. Also, set the output impedance to whatever the TOA is looking for- probably 0db 600 ohms, but it may vary depending on the input module you're using.. Also, set the LINE OUT volume a little higher than the default setting of 4. Try 7

You can download the manual for the ALGO from their website. algosolutions.com

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
OP Offline
Ok

So I think we have the External paging horns corrected

Now back to the original problem

There are 50 ceiling speakers in one of the buildings (3) Flloors

Most are tapped at 2.5 or 5 watts I don’t believe they were tapped
This high prior to the Teams phone system & Algo 8103

The problem is the master volume is at 10 and input 1 is at 10
and is not loud enough in certain areas

From when I remember whenever I would install a speaker in the classroom, I would always put it at 1.25 and maybe maybe 2.5 if it was in a cafeteria or a hallway

I believe a lot of these settings got changed, because of the volume problem we initially had

I knew that the amplifier was getting maxed out, or possibly being maxed out. That’s why I introduced the Valcom speakers for the external paging outside.

I know that you should have more speakers at a lower wattage as opposed to one speaker at 5 W

I am going back this coming Friday to go through and see if we can find

Possible wiring issue that could be the reason behind this

I did put a impedance meter on it a while back and it was telling me that there was about 245 watts

Would this makes sense that because there’s too many speakers, and not enough wattage that you would have to turn the volume up to 10

My question is is what happens when you need more wattage

I guess I’m looking for some recommendations on possibly upgrading to a different amplifier with more wattage. I wasn’t sure if TOA made one.

I think Bogan makes one that’s 450 but I think it only has one input

Thanks

JD

Originally Posted by tim10
You are trying to treat a symptom, and not the problem. The amplifier is overloaded, as you have verified. There may or not be ground faults on the speaker lines. You should focus on resolving the problem, and not just treating the symptom. The volume of the system will come up when you resolve the issues with the 70V lines.

Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
Do a load test with existing 70v speaker runs before jumping on a new amp. If the load test is suspiciously high, or suspiciously low, check all the 70v speakers. Make sure nobody has hooked up a plain old 8 ohm speaker in a back room or custodians shop. That could cause most of the symptoms you're reporting.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
OP Offline
Ok

I’m back on site. I used an impedance meter to get a couple of readings.
There’s two legs that come into where the speaker is connected to the amplifiers

The first leg is at about 180 which is the ground floor and the second leg is at about 30 which is the second and third floor

When I tied those legs together, it’s still measured the same as the leg on the second and third floor 30

The impedance meter is at 1X

I also just hooked up one 5W ceiling speaker at 1.25 Watts to the back of the amplifier

I was using my iPhone and input seven or eight I had the master volume up at halfway and I had input seven or eight up at halfway and I could barely hear anything coming out of the speaker

When I raise the master volume I think was almost all the way up and then input eight or seven I could increment those, and it would get louder

Does that sound like there could be something wrong with the amplifier

Originally Posted by JBean3329
Do a load test with existing 70v speaker runs before jumping on a new amp. If the load test is suspiciously high, or suspiciously low, check all the 70v speakers. Make sure nobody has hooked up a plain old 8 ohm speaker in a back room or custodians shop. That could cause most of the symptoms you're reporting.

Years ago I was troubleshooting low volume on a car dealership paging system. I heard a page in the ceiling in an office in the service dept. - asked someone about it and he said they took a speaker from a car and wired it to the paging system - directly on the 70v line. It was actually a 4 ohm speaker. There was a big pillow wrapped around it to reduce the very loud level.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,400 Shoretel
189,148 CTX100 install
187,423 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bob3470), 152 guests, and 434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024