Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#65931 03/29/11 12:41 PM
OP Offline
I hope someone can help me with a jacka## isp that has been giving me the run around.

Customer has a 5330 ip phone at a warehouse that was working fine until last thursday. When the isp lost a blade server that took down customers in the town, for internet service.

Isp got everything "working again". But the ip phone that the customer has wouldn't link back up to the phone system. It only shows the ip address it received from the router and the ip address.

Isp says that problem has to the phone. Take the phone to the main location and set the ip address, for internal, phone works fine.

Went to an ip address, port scanner web site to see what ports were open at the main location. Site showed most of the ports needed for the ip phone were closed. When I informed the isp of the test results, "we don't block anything."

Tech support wants a wireshark capture at both ends to see how the system is doing things when the phone tries to connect to the system.

Is there anything else that maybe suggested to indicated where the problem maybe. That is preventing the phone from connecting to the system.

Thanks,

Mike :bang: :bang:

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Inter-Tel
Moderator-Inter-Tel
You've done exactly what I would have done and I just cringed reading your post.

I've heard the "we don't block anything" line more times than I can count just to have it turn out that they are. It's especially ballsy when you've done a port scan proving otherwise.

You said that you changed the ip to "internal" at the main location which leads me to believe that it is using a public ip at the warehouse. After the outage, are you sure that their public ip's have not changed? I've had this happen to me before with an ISP that would randomly renew the Public IP assigned to a customer and take down their IP phones.

OP Offline
Thanks for the reply. I verified the public address was still the same at both sites. The problem is, the 5330 phones boot so far and then stop. In their settings, there is only the address for the icp and tftp. Everything else is set by the dhcp function of the little soho router at the site.

Things worked before the isp outage and now they don't. Isp says they haven't blocked port. Did a network qualifier test, using tcp control port 7000 and audio stream port 5004. At the warehouse, the 5004 port keep saying the port couldn't open. Found and used port 5010 to get at port 5004 at the main building.

Tech support says that the soho router is right for the 5330 phones at the warehouse. The router has to use option 43 to hand out instructions to the phones on where to find the tftp and icp. I don't quite follow. If the address are in the phones for the icp and tftp address what is the router going to do differently.

We are looking at a option 43 soho router. Anyone have any suggestions on which one.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi
You can statically assign all the settings for the 5330 to work. Any setting that are assigned will overide the dhcp.
This way you will no that the phone is definately pointing to the correct tftp and icp address.

The 53xx phones do not use port 5004, the intertel endpoints use that port. Also that port would normally be blocked by the firewall as the phone uses it for outbound connection to the system.

The Mitel endpoints use ports 50098 - 50508 UDP for outbound.

At the system end firewall you need to open ports
6004 - 7039 UDP
3998 and 3999 TCP (SAC)
68,69 2001 UDP (TFTP)
6800-6802 TCP (minet)

If the phone fails to boot make a note of the message on the screen that will give an idea what is failing

Tim

Using Putty can you ping the router at the phone side? From the phone side can you use Putty to access the phone system from the phone side. I would go to the remote side try to putty into the phone system if you can try to ping back to your router.

What do you have for internet? What devices are you using for routing?

Randy

OP Offline
Thanks for the replies.

I have tried the phones where the dhcp didn't assign the id addresses, I did. The phones will start to come up and then get stuck with the address assigned and the ip address of the phone system. That is where they will stay, and go no further.

I know the public address of the phone system and will try to putty to it from home. If I can putty to it, the ports are open or some are open?

The carrier is American Broad Band. Something local out here. There are DSL circuits at both sites that go out to the Cloud. Each are ok if data and one phone is tring to make a call out. The customer was using linksys routers. Mitel sold the shop cisco wd120-a-na routers that I will be installing Monday, to hopefully fix the problem. Since Mitel said we needed to have dhcp that puts in the address of the phone system and tftp, this is what is going to be tried.

Also the carrier is going to send out a tech to hopefully fix the problem.

Will keep you updated. Thanks for the replies

Putty would be using port 22 and yes that would tell you port 22 is open or that connection will fail.

"Since Mitel said we needed to have dhcp that puts in the address of the phone system and tftp, this is what is going to be tried." I'm not sure I get what they are saying. If you have a DSL Modem, that will be your first point of failure to look at. Did it loose some configuration? How does it route to the Linksys (DMZ or static block and the Linksys had a public address)

I will be on the road by 7:45 MST and available on my cell the number is in my profile call if you want maybe togather we can get this resolved
Randy

OP Offline
Thanks for the reply.

I just tried to putty into both locations from my house and both failed.

Carrier and I disagree on what the problem is. They lost a section of their equipment, blade server, last week. Customer lost the ip phones and internet. When the carrier got things back together, the internet came back up, but the ip phones couldn't connect to the phone system.

Modems seem to be ok, because the customer can use the internet for his business operation.

Phones work if I take them over to the main location and put in the internal address of the phone. If I take the phones back over to the warehouse. Give them a static address, the address of the phone, gateway, tftp and the subnet. The phone will sit at the display showing the ip address of the phone and phone system. I believe the phones are tring to link to the phone system but can't. Because the ports of both or either sites are blocked. The carrier swears that everything is open.

We changed out the router, at the main location just to be sure that it wasn't damaged.

Gave wireshark captures of both systems to Mitel tech support and they said the 5330 phones needed to have a dhcp. "gave mike the DHCP and option information. They will need to get this set up on this customers lan in order for the phone to come online". Why I don't know, He's on first. The way the situation is.

MVSpeed, I will give a call around 8.

Thanks,

Mike

OP Offline
Thanks for MVSpeed help. The problem isn't corrected.

Had the tech from the carrier to come out to say the problem isn't theirs. He did get our new router to work with the dsl modem. Seems the modem will retain the mac address of the router for 24 hours. So if youu needed to change out the router for whatever reason, you won't get on the internet, period.

We set up a 1g hub as the pass through between the router and equipment. In case I had to capture more wireshark, which I had to do. All of the sudden, the ip-sla adapter was working. It was using different ports then the 5330's used. Warehouse has 1 dsl circuit, 2-5330 and 1-ip-sla, 1-computer.

I will try setting up a 86xx ip phone at the warehouse. To maybe replace the 5330 phone at the warehouse. Whatever is blocking the ports from getting to the 5k from the cloud, doesn't seem to effet the 5330 at the office.

Does anyone have any experience with the hp procurve switch 2910. Could the switches somehow be blocking access to the 5k?

Thanks,

Mike

OP Offline
Believe it or not, I took 2 8662 out to site. Did some programming and the phones came up. The 5330 still wouldn't.

So the customer has the same arrangement with the phones, if different model.

Proves that there is blockage some where.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,319
Posts638,938
Members49,777
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
213,189 Shoretel
190,397 CTX100 install
188,832 1a2 system
Newest Members
Rphoneguy, Kahm310, PeterG, lyte, 4thright
49,776 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 16
dans 5
lyte 4
Yoda 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (hamishegg, morephones), 127 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024