Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Velcro Offline OP
OP Offline
just found the specs for the phone. On 22AWG wire the phone can be run up to 5500 feet, on 24 AWG wire can be run up to 3500 feet so distance should not be an issue...

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Velcro Offline OP
OP Offline
Hal, what do you mean by "clamping" and "strapping out" the protectors?

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
IROBs can be a real pain. Just for test purposes, remove all the IROBs and run the cable clean and see if you get the same issue.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Circa 2606's
have you tried bypassing the circa (for test only ) ?

I had issues on a panasonic two bldg install , worked ok if I bypassed the primary .

I called circa and they guy told me the right modules to order , worked just fine after that

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Ok, I see who Circa is, I actually had the information. The 3B1E should be fine. I use similar all the time. You can go to 75v if you want if there is no ringing voltage.

Hal, what do you mean by "clamping" and "strapping out" the protectors?

Hmm, I never said "strapping out", I would suppose that would be replacing them with jumpers. Clamping refers to a protector going into protection, it will clamp the voltage at no more than it's rating. In the case of your 3B1Es that would be 350v. So, if the voltage on the pair exceeds 350v the protector conducts and basically becomes a dead short to ground "clamping" the voltage at no more than 350v.

And no, you do not want to permanently remove toe protectors or the IROBs. The NEC and Avaya require them.

In putting the CAT5 in the middle, which I'm sure is 24 gauge, you've reduce everything to 24 gauge. Just like water in a pipe...

Well, actually no. They would be series resistances and would add. It would all depend on the lengths of the respective runs and the resistances per foot of each wire size.

From what I can see you have a problem with the wiring here. You are certainly within the loop limit. Start by doing a voltage test at all points from the begining to end. Then I would check for grounds and resistance across the pair.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Velcro Offline OP
OP Offline
Well guys, another 5 hours out there today. I tested the voltage at all points and it was pretty steady at between 47.6 and 50.6V. The one thing I noticed is that when I plug the phone in at the far end and watch the voltage it stays at about 47.6V and after about 10 seconds drops to 3.3V and after about another 10 or 15 seconds it went back up to 47.6V. As a test I watched the voltage on another port of the Definity and shorted out the pins on the 66 block and lo and behold the same thing. It seems like it is shorting out somewhere but the voltage holds steady at 47.6V until I plug the phone in..I have not tried to bypass the Circa but will tomorrow..btw skip555, which Circa modules did you end up using? I will call Circa on Monday...

Have you disconnected it from the PBX and with the phone unplugged (open both ends) checked the resistance across the pair and from each side to ground? Then short one end and check the resistance again across the pair from the other.

Is the 1100' run underground and how long has it been there?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Velcro Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, and I did take the IROB's out of the picture...with no luck again..

Velcro Offline OP
OP Offline
I did not check the resistance. To do that would I remove say one pair at one end, twist it together and put my test leads on the other end? And as far as testing from each side to ground, I am not sure how I would do that.
The whole reason for this job is someone hit the existing direct burial cable with a forklift and that's when the phone stopped working. I tested all the pairs and could not get it to work either so suggested replacing the cable. They ran the old cable themselves and did not have any form of protection on either end. They simply had the pairs stripped and used wire nuts to make thier connections...

Check both pairs for shorts, grounds, crosses, opens and balance with any volt ohm meter.

Retired phone dude
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,821
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,473 Shoretel
189,229 CTX100 install
187,500 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 8
dexman 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 124 guests, and 100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024