Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#88611 02/10/08 12:53 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
Geeze, if you are going to go to that much trouble why not get a MOH player.
Kind of silly to do something like that in this day and age when there are so many sources for MOH devices that will make your company look professional, not like you called the CIA.
I understand your point. If a company almost exclusively has 2-party calls then a nice MOH source, with interludes of music and company messages, sounds professional. You may have missed the most important statement I made regarding why our company switched to beep on hold: "Now, when a participant puts a conference call on hold they don't bring the conversation to a grinding halt." If your phone system users frequently participate in large multi-party conference bridge calls then music and/or message on hold may be undesirable.

This is because one person with MOH putting a bridged call on hold disrupts the conference for ALL other participants until the call is taken off hold. If you have a 10 to 100-person teleconference stop dead because one participant put that call on hold then that "professional" music and message just makes your company sound inept. We used to have this happen all of the time. There was NO doubt that it was someone from our company that did it since that same music and message on hold source was telling everyone on the call EXACTLY who was wasting their time.

A 100-person call with lots of executives can cost hundreds of dollars per second just for the salaries of those involved. Does this help explain why in some cases a simple beep every so often to indicate that you are still on hold can be a better solution than a "professional" MOH source? There is no single correct answer for this: the application determines the solution.

-Rob

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

#88612 02/10/08 01:21 PM
If you have a 10 to 100-person teleconference

And if you only had 5 or six out of that number put their line on hold the beeps would drive the rest nuts. In your case why bother at all? The beeps are meaningless, they aren't going to tell who is on hold only that at least someone is.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#88613 02/11/08 06:39 AM
If you have a 10 to 100-person teleconference

And if you only had 5 or six out of that number put their line on hold the beeps would drive the rest nuts. In your case why bother at all? The beeps are meaningless, they aren't going to tell who is on hold only that at least someone is.

-Hal
Not actually Hal. Since the source of the beeps is a single source, any participants of the conference at the same location would invoke the same beep tone over again.

Of course, it would have to be tested to see if there was an appreciable volume increase of the beeps caused by the collection of folks putting the conference on hold.

it's all tip and ring
#88614 02/11/08 08:02 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Install MOH and teach the users all about Speakerphones and MUTE buttons! Even the old MLS6's have a C.O. monitor function don't they? That way they can hear what the customer is saying while the customer thinks he is only talking to HIS folks! OOPS, that MAY be sickbird! (ILLEGAL for you youngsters) smile John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#88615 02/11/08 04:46 PM
I understand that different customers have different needs and what works great for one could be a terrible idea for another. I am not trying to convert the world to beep on hold.

The OP asked if there was a way to get a beep on hold every 30 seconds or so. Finally, a question I can help with! I offered a solution that I have used in the past so that somebody out there could make a customer happy and hopefully make some money at the same time. I apologize if I was wrong to do this.

I do not understand the mocking tone and outright hostility that some on this forum express to others with different needs or solutions. Certainly blast away if someone suggests anything illegal, unethical, or unsafe.

I am a CG with a lot more Telecommunication experience than most CGs. I have this crazy notion that we are more alike than we are different: our job is to make technology work for people and not the other way around. I am also under the impression that helping others was the purpose of this forum ... not forcing your opinions on them.

Please let me know if I am off-base and I will change my behavior. Thank you.

-Rob

#88616 02/11/08 06:40 PM
Not actually Hal. Since the source of the beeps is a single source, any participants of the conference at the same location would invoke the same beep tone over again.

I wasn't of the impression that all participants were on the same system or even the same location.

I do not understand the mocking tone and outright hostility that some on this forum express to others with different needs or solutions.

Rob, I don't know why you feel I am mocking you or being hostile just because I disagree with you or don't share your point of view. You made your argument several times. I had valid arguments also. Everybody isn't always going to agree with you.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#88617 02/12/08 05:43 AM
Hal-

I find it curious that you, a moderator, want to discuss this in a forum.

You don't know how you are mocking or being hostile so I pulled these 3 quotes from your posts in this thread:
"...They need to quit while they are ahead."
"Kind of silly to do something like that..."
"In your case why bother at all? The beeps are meaningless..."
All three of these quotes are meant to stifle the conversation, not encourage the exchange of ideas. You don't know how to do it, you don't know why someone would want to do it and so you are trying to make others feel that they are dumb to even discuss it.

I appreciate the knowledge that you have and the willingness to help others. The fact that you said, "You made your argument several times. I had valid arguments also." makes me think that everything is an argument to you. I wasn't arguing and I still am not. I don't care if you agree with me or not. I do care that you are running interference when you don't have anything constructive to contribute.

Since you are a moderator I would encourage you to have the last word and then lock this thread. It is clearly off-topic at this point. Thank you.

-Rob

#88618 02/12/08 06:03 AM
PM sent.

-Hal

#88619 02/25/08 04:52 AM
Hey Jim...I like your idea about recording your own beeps...lol!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,306
Posts638,894
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,905 Shoretel
190,030 CTX100 install
188,226 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 6
teleco 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 61 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024