Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Mped7 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all from a newbie here.

My office has an old AT&T/Lucent Spirit phone system with the CS308A1 controller (as well as the expansion module). It has worked trouble free for many years. Yesterday, with no cause apparent to us, we found that we could not make outgoing calls. Incoming calls were fine, but when we picked up to dial out the tones generated by the keyboard made a normal beep but would not break the dial tone. Phone co came out and the incoming lines to our controller box checked out OK. I tried re-setting (unplugging) the controller and re-setting the system to tone mode, to no avail. While doing the later, I found that if I switched all the lines to pulse mode we could make outgoing calls. This works but we would obviously prefer to work in tone mode. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

About the only thing I would try is connecting to the lines at the demarc with a butt set and seeing if they are OK. You could use a single line phone. If you can't access the demarc or connect to it with the plug you could pull a CO line plug from the Spirit and connect there.

If your test confirms that the lines are all right then your problem is with the KSU. At that point you are looking at replacement of an old low cost system that is way beyond it's useful life.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
to program at the controller turn admin switch to on
at ext 10 press intercom dial *0
confim tone
dial 1
next touch conf button, dial 7
press all your lines ,dial 1

if this does not allow to tone out, then try unpluging your expansion module, and try again

I assumed the OP knew how to change from pulse to tone- I tried re-setting (unplugging) the controller and re-setting the system to tone mode, to no avail.

Certainly try unplugging the expansion module. Good luck.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Mped7 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you both for your replies. Yes, I tried unplugging the expansion module and also reprogramming the lines to tone in case they had somehow reset to the default pulse mode.

hbiss, is the "demarc" the connection between the outside phone lines and the controller? If so I have not tested that yet (I need to bring in a one line phone from home), but does the fact that we can dial out in pulse mode rule out everything but the controller (all phones and lines exhibit the same problem)?

I know this is an old system, but is there any problem with trying to pick up a used controller (I see them for less than $100 on the web) in lieu of buying a whole new system? We have four incoming lines and six phones on the system.

Thanks again for your assistance.

You can test anywhere before the line gets connected to the system just to make sure you can tone dial. I seriously doubt that you will find a problem but it doesn't hurt to check.

If you want to replace the KSU I see no problem with that if the system suits you. You may have to do some programming though.

-Hal

Email Sent...

WWW.EmeryCommunications.com
Authorized SMB Avaya Business Partner

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,292
Posts638,824
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,486 Shoretel
189,239 CTX100 install
187,567 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 104 guests, and 97 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024