I took your suggestion and found a second generic analog phone. Dialed one phone with the other. The recipient phone did not ring, but I heard the KX-TA624 clicking. So when the recipient phone was answered (without any ring) the connection was there, I was able to communicate with my coworker at the other end.

I unscrewed the top of the KX-TA624 unit. Inside there is a battery welded to a board, as well as various dip switches and a "reset" button. I know this unit is at least 3+ years old, and has gone unplugged for at least a year. Do you think the battery is what gives phones the extra boost to ring? Also, what will hitting the "reset" button do? Dare I attempt it?

As I stated before, there are no docs anywhere I can find that discuss this. It's very frustrating. If you find any, please send me a pointer!

Here's what I need to do. I have software (product called PhoneSweep) that is a wardialer. I also have software (product called Sandtrap) that is a wardialer-detector-honeypot. I need to do a demo to show PhoneSweep dialing into Sandtrap.

However, Sandtrap doesn't know it's being dialed into unless it "hears a ring". Thus, I am trying to get this switch to produce a ring that Sandtrap's modem will "hear" and answer.

[This message has been edited by Karyn (edited September 08, 2004).]