So while the U.K. system makes it look cheaper with just the one tax, I can't help feeling that the U.S. billing with the taxes broken down gives a better indication of where all the money is going.

There may be a better accounting of taxes on our bills but it is by no means complete. There are still other taxes that are just rolled into the basic rate like franchise fees that the TELCO pays to each municipality on a local level.

One day soon the cable companies and other alternative telcom providers will be hit with the same taxes which will either put them out of business or remove their competitive advantage.

As far as I'm concerned, unless you string your own cables you are using the public network and all traffic should be taxed the same if there are going to be taxes. Right now the only advantage low cost transport methods have over others is due to no taxation.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.