We're on a fractional voice/data T1. I will explain the problem we are having and perhaps someone can tell me if our Vodavi system may have anything to do with it (keep in mind I'm a neophyte to the whole phone system setup).

1 - All our phone lines light up at once, including the 'rollover fax' line (it detects a fax signal and rolls it over to the fax machine). I have to pick them up and hang them all up to get them to stop ringing - they are just noise calls, and they don't roll to voice mail. If I let them go, they will all stop eventually, but Line 6 will become a solid red and the fax line will continue to ring indefinitely.

2 - Existing calls are cut, and occasionally when this happens all lines are dead for outbound calls (though we can still get inbound calls).

3 - Resetting the AdTran VSU/DSU seems to fix it for awhile (from a few seconds to a few months), then it starts up again. But our service provider replaced the unit already and the problem persists.

4 - Sometimes when the ghost calls start, they are preceded by an outbound fax call. The fax machine actually rings like it is making a call, which it never does any other time. It's almost as if our fax machine is calling an outside line to validate a connection or something. I get the feeling that the way the fax machine is programmed into our phone system might be the culprit, but I do not have the knowledge to research this or do anything about it.

5 - It doesn't affect the data at all, thus leading me into the direction of the problem originating from our phone system, though our Service Provider continues to monitor and test

6 - Our service provider tested the circuit and the smart jack; both came out clean. They are continuing to monitor and placed us on a "Chronic Problem" list.

The place I work for doesn't want to pay someone to check out our phone system. They really can't afford to, and they want to keep the ball in our service provider's court. (We have no vendor for our phone system; they went out of business). Nevertheless, I'm not convinced that it is the fault of our T1 provider. It just seems to me that they could have fixed it by now (months of repeated problems) if it were a problem with them or with the circuit.

Can anybody help point me in troubleshooting directions? Articles online? Does this sound like a known issue with this hardware? Any help appreciated.

==================
Sometimes the only thing worse than a hypocrite is a true believer.