It sounds to me like you have a simple case of a callback if what you are saying is true. Perhaps the person who programmed your system inadvertently messed up the other extension. I would think calling them back and asking what their warranty policy is might be in order. You may be pleasantly surprised. The vendor may fix it for free or for a minimal amount.

I have to agree with STS E. VOIP seems to be everyone's magic cure-all, but it's not. It's an emerging technology, still well within it's infancy and has a long way to go. Even after three attempted roll outs and decades of trial and error, it still can't provide much better than cell phone voice quality. It has a long, long way to go.

VOIP is certainly not going to solve this problem. You have a simple case of a few phones that weren't programmed to ring, and now another one. What good does it do to trash a perfectly good phone system because it's not programmed the way that you want it?

Would you throw out your TV because it doesn't receive the channels you desire? How about the car when the tires get worn? Move away when the grass needs cutting? Of course you wouldn't!

Think rationally for a moment: There's nothing wrong with the phone system; it's just not programmed the way you want it to be.

Even the magical IP systems require programming and most have much tighter restrictions as to who sells/services them. Of course, it you are speaking of setting your office up with some form of free or shareware, then there's nothing we can do to help you except to wish you the best.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX