The following has been reviewed and approved for posting by one of our NEC moderators. The password information has been omitted per board guidelines. Hopefully this will help you guys:

Originally posted by Repent:

Ok so I got Ultramail working on two separate workstations. One is my laptop, the other a fresh install of XP I setup on a test workstation. I am posting my resolution here so hopefully it will help others.

This is what I observed during testing:
Name of workstation (W/S) doesn't matter. The manual says you have to use "UltraMail" Notice the caps on the "U" and the "M". Not true. I used "Bedrock"

Username when installing UM doesn't matter. I used "Fred Flintstone"

PASSWORD when installing DOES MATTER. MUST use
[Password and format information removed per board guidelines.]

When you first successfully launch and get into UM, the registry values are written to your computer. These values contain the IP address you are pointing to, the W/S name you are on, the username, and password. I got into the registry and changed the username and workstation name without any problem. I could still login. BUT, when I changed the password in the registry, then tried to login, I got the old familiar error message I've been seeing for the last 3 weeks. I tried this on both workstations and found this to be true, exactly, for both. When I changed back to the correct password, I could again log back on.

I am using straight through cables with no problem. I currently have my cards connected to a switch so I can do LAN access. I can also direct connect. I DID bind an IP address in the same subnet as my CPU and VM cards on both my test machines before installing the software but I don't think that matters as far as installation goes, since those values are not recorded in the registry for Ultramail. You would of course need to have an IP address in the same subnet to physically reach the cards.

Hope this helps someone.

Peace;
Chris