1. Yes it routes to the appropriate extension. Since it's a fax you don't want it going to the phone...generally it goes to a box for distribution. Based on the DID digits it then routes it to your email address as a .TIF or .PDF doc. No modems needed.

2. Yes it is via DID DTMF.

3. SMDR happens after a call is terminated for tracking purposes and has nothing to do with fax routing. Fax routing is based upon received digits being translated to valid email addresses.

Yes you must have PRI/T1 service.
1. My phone system can route the fax to any extension in the system. I know this part but I am confused about the part that you say it does not go to a modem? If the fax is not going to a modem, then where does it go? How does the fax call get accepted? My understanding that all faxes must be received by a modem( either on a fax machine or a fax server/PC)?

2. Is your fax server able to accept DTMF tones directly? Are you referring to some type of after-dial situation where your program your system to redial the routing DTMF tones after the fax server has picked up the call?

In other words, can all faxes route to the same extension(connected to the fax server) then somehow have the fax server tell which DTMF tones were dialed or do you have to setup a unique extension for each dialed fax number to determine the destination?

Thanks.