atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: samsungsystemsreturns Fax server question - 11/08/07 11:57 AM
Hello.

Does anyone here have any experience setting up fax servers? I would be interested in the method used to route faxes to the different destination.

Do you have to manually route them or does can your system recognize the dialed fax number? Does it required a dedicated modem or can it route based on dialed number?

Thanks.
Posted By: infringer Re: Fax server question - 11/08/07 02:37 PM
I use a product called ActiveFax https://www.actfax.com

It does routing based on DID number dialed. And has quite a few features. I like it because of the ability to add faxing from the programs I develop.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Fax server question - 11/08/07 02:47 PM
I use Netsatisfaxtion. It works via DID to route faxes. faxback
Posted By: Kumba Re: Fax server question - 11/08/07 05:14 PM
For a fax server you could use Windows Fax in Windows Server 2003, which works pretty well. For a web/internet enabled fax you can look into something like Hylafax or any other various fax servers.

As far as routing it depends on the system. I can do DID and fax-detection routing within asterisk. I can also make Asterisk act as a big fax-modem if spend the hours to install SpanDSP. This probably isn't the solution you are looking for tho. The first paragraph will probably be more what you need.
Posted By: samsungsystemsreturns Re: Fax server question - 11/08/07 06:57 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience with fax servers.

When you guys say that you route based on DID number:

1. Do you have your phone system route different DID numbers to different extension. Then assign a dedicated modem to each extension?

2. Do you have your phone system somehow pass through the DID numbers via a DTMF tone or some other method that your fax server can recognize?

3. Do you used the SMDR data of your phone system to somehow match up to the received fax in order to route it?

I am assuming we are talking about DID service with a PRI or T1 phone line into your system?

Thanks.
Posted By: Kumba Re: Fax server question - 11/08/07 07:37 PM
Sure... it all depends on how you implement it.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Fax server question - 11/08/07 07:52 PM
Originally posted by samsungsystemsreturns:
Thank you for sharing your experience with fax servers.

When you guys say that you route based on DID number:

1. Do you have your phone system route different DID numbers to different extension. Then assign a dedicated modem to each extension?

2. Do you have your phone system somehow pass through the DID numbers via a DTMF tone or some other method that your fax server can recognize?

3. Do you used the SMDR data of your phone system to somehow match up to the received fax in order to route it?

I am assuming we are talking about DID service with a PRI or T1 phone line into your system?

Thanks.
1. Yes it routes to the appropriate extension. Since it's a fax you don't want it going to the phone...generally it goes to a box for distribution. Based on the DID digits it then routes it to your email address as a .TIF or .PDF doc. No modems needed.

2. Yes it is via DID DTMF.

3. SMDR happens after a call is terminated for tracking purposes and has nothing to do with fax routing. Fax routing is based upon received digits being translated to valid email addresses.

Yes you must have PRI/T1 service.
Posted By: samsungsystemsreturns Re: Fax server question - 11/08/07 09:04 PM
1. Yes it routes to the appropriate extension. Since it's a fax you don't want it going to the phone...generally it goes to a box for distribution. Based on the DID digits it then routes it to your email address as a .TIF or .PDF doc. No modems needed.

2. Yes it is via DID DTMF.

3. SMDR happens after a call is terminated for tracking purposes and has nothing to do with fax routing. Fax routing is based upon received digits being translated to valid email addresses.

Yes you must have PRI/T1 service.
1. My phone system can route the fax to any extension in the system. I know this part but I am confused about the part that you say it does not go to a modem? If the fax is not going to a modem, then where does it go? How does the fax call get accepted? My understanding that all faxes must be received by a modem( either on a fax machine or a fax server/PC)?

2. Is your fax server able to accept DTMF tones directly? Are you referring to some type of after-dial situation where your program your system to redial the routing DTMF tones after the fax server has picked up the call?

In other words, can all faxes route to the same extension(connected to the fax server) then somehow have the fax server tell which DTMF tones were dialed or do you have to setup a unique extension for each dialed fax number to determine the destination?

Thanks.
Posted By: ipofficeguy Re: Fax server question - 11/09/07 05:47 AM
Most systems that can accept a PRI can handle sending what the fax server needs. The scenario is, a fax call comes in on a certain DID which is programmed as one of a group of "fax DID's".
The system routes the call to the specified extension (a single extension for all "fax did's or group of extensions if the fax server has multiple ports).
When the call reaches the fax server, the phone system sends DTMF digits that show the DID number called. (similar to how voicemail systems know which mailbox a call is for)
The fax server receives the fax and routes the document to the intended user(s) by the DTMF digits it received.
Posted By: samsungsystemsreturns Re: Fax server question - 11/09/07 08:23 AM
Originally posted by ipofficeguy:
Most systems that can accept a PRI can handle sending what the fax server needs. The scenario is, a fax call comes in on a certain DID which is programmed as one of a group of "fax DID's".
The system routes the call to the specified extension (a single extension for all "fax did's or group of extensions if the fax server has multiple ports).
When the call reaches the fax server, the phone system sends DTMF digits that show the DID number called. (similar to how voicemail systems know which mailbox a call is for)
The fax server receives the fax and routes the document to the intended user(s) by the DTMF digits it received.
Ok, now I understand what you are saying.

The key factor is making sure you can get your phone system to resend those DTMF digits perhaps with a voicemail configuration setting.
Posted By: infringer Re: Fax server question - 11/09/07 09:17 AM

No I have 4 modems in my fax server 1 dedicated outbound, 2 inbound/outbound, 1 dedicated inbound.

The system then forwards the call to one of the 3 inbound modems just like it does with VoiceMail extensions (I have a Comdial FXII system). And it also forwards the DID digits.

Yes via DTMF.

NO.

HTH,
-David
Posted By: ipofficeguy Re: Fax server question - 11/09/07 10:25 AM
You got it now samsungsys..

Some systems will give you the direct option to send DTMF out to regular analog extensions, others (especially "older" models) require you to use a second "voicemail group" for the system to send out DTMF tones. The trick then is to find a fax server that is cabable of understanding to digits being sent to it. Most fax servers have the capability to create custom forms.
Posted By: samsungsystemsreturns Re: Fax server question - 11/12/07 09:06 AM
Have you guys ever encountered a phone system unable to pass through the DTMF digits to a fax server?

Perhaps, it may use a priority voicemail card and not be design to pass down those digits to any extensions?

I am not sure if any fax server companies has ever complied a list of compatible phone systems which are able to pass through DTMF digits. I think that most techs do not know offhand how to do this.

Have you ever setup a fax server of any Samsung phone system?

Thanks.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Fax server question - 11/12/07 10:51 AM
Which Samsung system?
Posted By: samsungsystemsreturns Re: Fax server question - 11/13/07 10:04 AM
iDCS 500

Do you know how to do this on any Samsung system?

Thanks.
Posted By: samsungsystemsreturns Re: Fax server question - 11/14/07 09:21 PM
If you know how to do this with the Idcs 100, that would be find too. I think the principal is the same on all the Samsung system expect maybe the IP systems which I'm not sure about.

If you know if this can be done, please let me know.

Even if it is just a yes or no.

Thanks.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Fax server question - 11/15/07 08:41 AM
Yes the 500 can do it. You dont need the voicemail to make this happen. If you are using a PRI (DID) the you simply route the calls based on CLI or DID to the fax server. If you need the number dtmf'd to the fax server just have it repeat CLI or DID and it will send the digits received to the fax server.

Yes you need to have a modem and fax server attached to the sli group or station. Unless you have a vpmf module in the voicemail.
Posted By: samsungsystemsreturns Re: Fax server question - 11/16/07 09:43 PM
Great! Thank you so much for the explanation.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. How do you route calls based on CLI ? I know how to route calls with DID (MMC 714 ) or based on trunk however I am not sure how to route calls based on CLI without the SVMI voicemail. Can you tell me which program that is located in?

2. When you say " Just have it repeat the CLI or DID and it will send the digits received to the fax server"

Can you let me know which programs that feature is located in? I thought I knew pretty much all the programs in the manual but I do not know which one is needed to repeat these digits?

Does this involve making the SLI extension assigned as a voice mail port or something like this?

3. Do you know for sure that the iDCS 100 does not do this or you only tried this on the iDCS 500?

I am glad to hear that someone has figured out how to configure this for the Samsung.

Thanks again for your help!
Posted By: WRichey Re: Fax server question - 11/17/07 11:51 AM
When you are looking at the mmc's at the bottom of the page you will find assoc and default mmc's relating to the did and cli information. I really think you need to get a dealer involved at this point. I know you have the manny but I will tell you it will save you time and money for the short period of time they will be onsite. You may also learn some things from them if you ask to be trained on how to do these things.

You didnt ask about a 100 and nobody mentioned that until now. But to answer your question yes the 100 can do it too.

Just as a note like was said before most phone systems can do these things you just need to understand how to make it happen
Posted By: samsungsystemsreturns Re: Fax server question - 11/17/07 01:25 PM
Hello.

I am embarrassed to say that I am a Samsung dealer but I still do not know how to repeat the digits. I have asked around and this information is not really documented on how to repeating digits for fax servers.

If you can be so kind as to PM me which program number you are looking at, I would really appreciate it. I will not take up any more of your time but if you could at least point me in the right direction, I can take it from there.

Thanks.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help