Hi All,

Apologies if this should be in the cabling forum..

I have a failing p2p-T1 (CRC errors) which AT&T tell me is certainly my IW. They had an engineer at each end, disconnected the buildings, clean for 30min in the middle, put the building on and noise is seen from the IW side.

There are 5 SmartJacks at the MPOE which take the following route:
SmartJack-RJ45 -- CAT6 UTP 10' to 66-block
66-block over 25-pair telephone up to 3rd floor 66-block
cross connect (1') to another 66-block on the 3rd floor
3xCAT6 from the 3rd floor 66-block to the wiring closet 66-block.
(there are 2xT1 sets in each CAT6, so RX(1)+TX(1), RX(2)+TX(2) in one cable, RX(3)+TX(3),RX(4)+TX(4) in the 2nd, RX(5)+TX(5) in the last)

I don't know the run length of either the 25-pair or CAT6 from the 3rd floor to the closet.

At the wiring closet it terminates at a 66-block, breaks out to 5 x RJ45 jacks, then each jack has a CAT6 patch (10') to the T1 WIC's in Cisco 1841's.

It worked fine when originally installed but since who know how many cable pulls and punchdowns on those blocks has become noisy.

It strikes me there may be several problems:

1) Running RX+TX for multiple T1's seems bad, general opinion says all RX's in one cable, all TX's in another. Also read T1 cable should be shielded pair within shielded cable, but don't know if that applies for "extending"
2) Possibly too far. The Cisco indicates 655' but I don't know about the SmartJack
3) Cable type? Mixing CAT6 and whatever twisted pair is considers.
4) Number of junctions/wire break.

I am trying to have a hole drilled through the wall as the SmartJacks are only about 50' from the WIC. Then it would be (1) a dedicated conduit (2) single cable from each SmartJack to each Cisco WIC.

The other thing I cannot seem to get an answer to is: How can I certify or simply check the wire end-to-end within the building? I only have a Cat6 certifier, do I need a T1 certifier?

This is beyond my knowledge. All the other T1's I manage are where the WIC is within 10' of the SmartJack, so it's just a straight through cable.

Any help is much appreciated.