I just passed the ICND test this morning. If your budget allows, I would suggest taking the 2 tests (640-821 INTRO then 640-811 ICND) instead of the one 640-801 test, unless you have a lot of Cisco networking experience. As far as study materials, Cisco Press books are great, there's 2 editions, one by Wendell Odom and one by Steve McQuerry. I like the Odom version better but used both. www.celticrover.com is a good website with LOTS of practice tests (costs $20 to access that area, well worth it). You also need 20-30 hours of hands-on practice. You can buy Boson NetSim for around $150 with a discount from the Odom books, there's also a few websites out there that will rent you time on their gear. If all else fails, check eBay for lab gear, there's lots there but be weary, some of the stuff for sale there is BOB (bad out-of box).

I'm lucky enough to work for an employer that sees the value of the field people being CCNA certified and is footing the whole bill, from test fees to study materials to a nice lab setup.