This morning, my better half called me up and told me about her friend's business that had developed terrible computer issues. I am not a CG, and really dislike doing anything with computers other than using them as a communication tool as I am doing here. Anyway, I asked what the problem was. Well, several days ago, my wife's friend had eight new LAN ports installed, (I am sure you already know what happened) and paid a fortune for them. Any way, when this person went to use the new computers, they didn't work. Not at all...they barely were able to log onto the server, after thirty minutes or so.

So my wife's friend called the "contractor" who installed the lan up and complained. Said nincompoop came out and "tested" the ports, (with a computer "cable tester") and said all was well, the problem must be with the computers/server, then told her to go call the server company.

Well, sensing a good laugh and a possible check, I went to the place of business with the dead LAN ports, and sure enough, the computers didn't work. The lady who owns the business had been told by my my wife that I 'like phones and things, maybe he can help you'. I did not even bring in my tool kit which I left in the truck, but had a pocket screwdriver. Just as I suspected after she described what happened, the "LAN ports" were screw terminal RJ45s (I think) for telephones. There was at least four sometimes five inches of exposed wire that had been untwisted. Sure, they would show on a cheap continuity checker that the LAN wires were properly connected, but that not in fact that this was a lan.

She asked if I could fix this, and I said no... simply because I am not qualified to do CAT5e work, (I really could in a pinch, and have in the past) but also because she was in no mood to pay me what I wanted after paying her "contractor" to do a (deleted) job of installing the LAN ports.

I told her that I thought that she needed to get a 1A2 system to make everything work right. She declined. I think she was glad when I left!

Oh well. I guess I am too old school.

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!