Hello,
I've just registered, but I've been reading this board for some time now, and maybe you can help me with a question. Mainly, the practice of installing different types of cable and jacks for voice and data. I'm not knocking this, I just don't understand why. From my point of view, as contractors, we install a transmission medium, whether it's Cat3,5,5e, 6, I don't care. To that medium, devices are attached, thay can be: analog phones, digital phones, pc's, data switches, routers, phone switches, fax machines, IP cameras, whatever you want. The logical solution, to me, would be to install a uniform horizontal cabling plant independant of the devices attached. Thus providing the customer with the most flexability and ease of maintenance for the money. Can we, as VDV contractors, be sure what our customers future needs will be? I don't think so. I have had 3 jobs in the past 4 months were I was adding drops even before the original bid job was finished. Just my 2 cents, I look forward to your comments.

-Al

-Alec