Well, I feel I need a little more information.

1) Are you repairing either end between test, or are you retesting without trying to fix the connections.

2) Does this happen all the time with this particular tester or even tech, or was it just this one time you were watching over his shoulder?

As mentioned above, many elements can cause a tester to report incorrect results. Bad Patch cords, Bad port on Patch Panel, Bad jack on far-end.

If he claims it changes when he moves the cord around, I would have to said it is either the patch cord you are using, or the tester head, or something that’s "Right there in front of you".

Just like Installer3 stated above, we had one tech that just seemed to have a lot of trouble getting his cables to pass. He kept saying the tester had gone bad. He was getting the same results as you are, very intermittently. Come to find out the locking tab on the patch cord was broke off of both ends of the cord. When he tested cables by himself, he would plug in the main unit, and let it hang from the cord, this slightly pulled the connector out of the jack causing an improper connection. Even with 2 people, if one person holds it in, but slightly moves during the test, it will cause very strange results.

We replaced both patch cords for the main unit and the remote, recalabrated the tester, and have had no more problems.

Sorry this got long!!!

Kirk Herron
A mistake on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
CCSG, Inc.
www.ccsgweb.com