to me a flush mount jack on the wall is a cleaner , "more professional "look than a 25 pair cable coming out of the wall with adapter on the end (or even tucked in the wall} with a line cord going through a plate and a hole.

I agree in that instance and it's normally what I do. But what about when the cables are not coming out of the wall? Many times they are run along the baseboard, maybe up through a hole in the floor. The cable is exposed and a surface jack is not going to hide the other 23 pairs. I think in this instance just using adapters and what's there originally looks better.

how did you know GTE installed this? Just wondering...

By the way the color markings are done on the wires. Look closely at the w/bl's and w/or's and tell me what the difference is from the 25 pr that we normally use. I wouldn't go so far as to say that when you see that cable it was always done by GTE because I still have some here. But it did come from GTE many years ago.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.